Basic of HC-05 Bluetooth Module

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi, As I know this is a digital bluetooth TRx module and we can control it with our android using suitable app too. As it communicates with digital encoding signal of bluetooth, does it have limited channel? Eg just I can control 4 channels or channels depends of app of cellphone?

And can I send other ineteresting things too (instead of channel ON OFF) ?

I most request to place a link if you know such interesting mutifunctional android app.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Hi, As I know this is a digital bluetooth TRx module and we can control it with our android using suitable app too. As it communicates with digital encoding signal of bluetooth, does it have limited channel? Eg just I can control 4 channels or channels depends of app of cellphone?

And can I send other ineteresting things too (instead of channel ON OFF) ?

I most request to place a link if you know such interesting mutifunctional android app.
The HC-05 is a dedicated Bluetooth controller that has been programmed to function as a SPP (Serial port Protocol) device. The modules often come mounted on a board (several varieties) with a few signals brought out to a header.

You can think of SPP as just another serial port but with a Bluetooth connection rather than a hard-wired one. So, if it is used as a slave device connected to an Arduino, an Android device would be the Master and would find and connect to the HC-05 (using a password). Once connected, both ends (Arduino and Android) can send character strings back and forth.

The typical example that is given is for the Android to send a “1) to turn on an LED on the Arduino and a “2” to turn off the LED. Don’t confuse that with the idea of a channel.

The Android could send any string and the programming on the Arduino could identify and interpret the string in any way that has been programmed. For example, the string ”Get Temp” could be sent by the Android device and interpreted by the Arduino to read a connected temperature sensor and send the temperature value back (again as a string).

You could set up a number of programmed commands and responses:

1. Turn on light #1
2. Turn off light #1
3. Send light level.
4. Send temperature.
5. Turn on light #2
6. Turn of light #2

….and so on.

There is some minimal programming that is done to use the HC-05 using a set of “AT” commands. Once configured, it awaits connection and then acts like a regular serial port.

You can even configure one HC-05 as a master and another as a slave and make the connections between two Arduinos (or other controllers) rather than an Android device and an Arduino.

There are a number of HC devices, although the HC-05 is a common one. In general, the odd numbered ones can be used as a master or a slave and the even numbered ones work as a slave only.

You can perform your own search and find many projects, references and tutorials.

Here are a few:

https://www.itead.cc/wiki/Serial_Port_Bluetooth_Module_(Master/Slave)_:_HC-05

https://maker.pro/education/bluetooth-basics-how-to-control-an-led-using-a-smartphone-and-arduino-2

http://wiki.pinguino.cc/index.php/SPP_Bluetooth_Modules

Last edited:

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
The HC-05 is a dedicated Bluetooth controller that has been programmed to function as a SPP (Serial port Protocol) device. The modules often come mounted on a board (several varieties) with a few signals brought out to a header.

You can think of SPP as just another serial port but with a Bluetooth connection rather than a hard-wired one. So, if it is used as a slave device connected to an Arduino, an Android device would be the Master and would find and connect to the HC-05 (using a password). Once connected, both ends (Arduino and Android) can send character strings back and forth.

The typical example that is given is for the Android to send a “1) to turn on an LED on the Arduino and a “2” to turn off the LED. Don’t confuse that with the idea of a channel.

The Android could send any string and the programming on the Arduino could identify and interpret the string in any way that has been programmed. For example, the string ”Get Temp” could be sent by the Android device and interpreted by the Arduino to read a connected temperature sensor and send the temperature value back (again as a string).

You could set up a number of programmed commands and responses:

1. Turn on light #1
2. Turn off light #1
3. Send light level.
4. Send temperature.
5. Turn on light #2
6. Turn of light #2

….and so on.

There is some minimal programming that is done to use the HC-05 using a set of “AT” commands. Once configured, it awaits connection and then acts like a regular serial port.

You can even configure one HC-05 as a master and another as a slave and make the connections between two Arduinos (or other controllers) rather than an Android device and an Arduino.

There are a number of HC devices, although the HC-05 is a common one. In general, the odd numbered ones can be used as a master or a slave and the even numbered ones work as a slave only.

You can perform your own search and find many projects, references and tutorials.

Here are a few:

https://www.itead.cc/wiki/Serial_Port_Bluetooth_Module_(Master/Slave)_:_HC-05

https://maker.pro/education/bluetooth-basics-how-to-control-an-led-using-a-smartphone-and-arduino-2

http://wiki.pinguino.cc/index.php/SPP_Bluetooth_Modules
After reading your post, I understood the HC series of BT modules sends and receives commands so we can trigger/toggle unlimitted number of switches according to program written on android and arduino. (Same way a Computer can controls unlimited switches which based on its program)

Am I right?

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
After reading your post, I understood the HC series of BT modules sends and receives commands so we can trigger/toggle unlimitted number of switches according to program written on android and arduino. (Same way a Computer can controls unlimited switches which based on its program)

Am I right?
The HC series of BT modules sends and receives bytes (typically text characters). Those bytes can be interpreted as commands so you can trigger/toggle a number of switches according to programs running on the master and slave devices, that includes an android device as a master and an Arduino device as a slave....so, yes, I think that you understand.