Baseball Scoreboard Project

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Outdoor scoreboards can be required to be seen in varying lighting conditions. There is lots to consider before starting on an electrical design. Things like viewing angle and brightness of the display need to be considered. I would suggest that you establish a list of criteria for the display, and then work out a design based on the end objectives.

From how far away does the score need to be read?
Does it need to work day and night?
Will all the viewers be at the same angle to the display?
Does it need to be weatherproof?
What will be the control method?

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
Outdoor scoreboards can be required to be seen in varying lighting conditions. There is lots to consider before starting on an electrical design. Things like viewing angle and brightness of the display need to be considered. I would suggest that you establish a list of criteria for the display, and then work out a design based on the end objectives.

From how far away does the score need to be read?
Does it need to work day and night?
Will all the viewers be at the same angle to the display?
Does it need to be weatherproof?
What will be the control method?
Yea I want it to be waterproof. Everyone will see it from the same angle. I want to control it wirelessly, but I am not familiar in that field. I still need to make the schematic. If anyone could help with this that would be great. The scoreboard will have 3 digits hooked to 3 CD40110s. Then, so I can go above 9 for the score, I will add just a 1 which is activated by a separate button. I would like to control it wirelessly, but I need help there. The scoreboard will look like this: excluding balls strikes and outs

Attachments

Last edited:

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
If anyone could give some basic suggestions on the circuit (resistors, wiring segments, power supply, etc.) that would be great. Thanks

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
If anyone could give some basic suggestions on the circuit (resistors, wiring segments, power supply, etc.) that would be great. Thanks
There are a couple of links at the bottom of this thread to check out. Also, if you search AAC for 'Scoreboard' you get a lot more threads you can look at. Some are pretty close to what you want. Start with a sketch of your best ideas and post them here.
Good luck.

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
Alright this leads me to a question. I am having a little trouble understanding the CD40110 pins function. I feel like some pins are not needed for my project, but this is one of the area I am ignorant in. Thanks

Attachments

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
As others have mentioned, we need a few more details. So you've stated you'd like to make each digit about 6" tall by 2.5" wide. Some quick Googling reveals this will give you a viewing distance of about 250-300 feet. Is that enough?

The simplest way to make the segments is to use 12VDC LED strips that can be cut to size. This saves a lot of work. You'll have to solder leads on or, if money is no object, you can buy pre-made connectors with wires made for the brand of LED strip you'll be using. Banggood offers a pretty good selection of inexpensive LED strips. Here's one to look at. If you go this route, pay attention to the LED size, whether or not it is waterproof, and make sure it is 12VDC and is designed to be cut apart.

Will the board be placed permanently outdoors or will it be mobile, i.e., only be placed outside during a game? Waterproof isn't a big issue, but having it hold up to Mother Nature 24-7 is a bit more challenging.

How will you power this? Will there be an AC outlet handy or are you going to use batteries? If the latter, what is the maximum time you need the batteries to last per game?

Do you need it to work in direct sunlight, say between 11am to 6pm, or primarily in the evening and night? Or both?

You can get a relatively inexpensive RF module from eBay. The few that I've played with work from 5VDC. Since you want a relatively big display, you'll probably be using 12VDC to power the display. To keep things simple then, I'd suggest using RF module designed for 12VDC and/or relays.

A note to others: the OP has contacted me via PM and may purchase some PCBs I've already made. If that happens, I'll post the schematic here so others can build their own if they'd like.