Baseball Scoreboard Project

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
Hello guys. I want to make an electronic scoreboard for whiffle ball in the backyard. I want it to be electronic so i can use it at other baseball events as well. I would like to have 4 digits for the score. 2 for the home team and 2 for the away team. Also, I would like 1 digit for the inning. I would like the scoreboard to be to be totally reset with 1 button. This means that the both scores would go to 00 and the inning would go to 1. I want 2 buttons, one for each team, to count up the score. Lastly, 1 button to increase the inning. I do have a moderate understanding of circuits. The problems I have run into are the digital parts. I have basic understanding of programming. I can understand things when I see them, but I have a hard time writing programs. I have no experience with IC chips, too. I plan to wire my own segments, so that is not a problem. I do have an arduino uno, so that can help as needed. I plan to make it wireless too, but I want to get this part done first. Thanks

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
If it is easier to have the digits count both up and down and not have a reset, I would prefer that. Thanks again for all the help

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
My kit has super bright LEDs and will certainly NOT run off a 9v battery. My kit has remote control. You can see my numbers in the daylight.

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
Its a lot of work to space the LEDs to make the display larger
I think that is the best option. This enters a field I am not very familiar with. What would be the best way to enlarge the digits? I am not really concerned about how much work it is.

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
My super bright 100mm display can be seen from 50 metres and is actually too bright to look at.
Enlarging the display is just like starting all over again.
You need to add extra LEDs and re-do the whole circuit.

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
My super bright 100mm display can be seen from 50 metres and is actually too bright to look at.
Enlarging the display is just like starting all over again.
You need to add extra LEDs and re-do the whole circuit.
Thanks for the reply. After doing a little more investigation, I think I may build the whole circuit from scratch using a up and down counter chip. Thanks again

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The digits can be made any size that you want by increasing the number and arrangement of the LEDs. Of course, then you must have a power supply capable of powering them. What size digits do you want?

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
The digits can be made any size that you want by increasing the number and arrangement of the LEDs. Of course, then you must have a power supply capable of powering them. What size digits do you want?
I want my LEDs to be around 6" tall and 2.5" wide.

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
How are you going to activate the display remotely?
I think I will just get an 8 channel rf remote kit. If there's a better way I am open to suggestion. Another thing, to simplify things, I am trying to ditch the second digit. In place of the second digit, I will just make a number 1. It will be wired all as one segment.This can be activated by the press of a button. This works because the scores don't usually top 20

Last edited:

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
"This works because the scores don't usually top 20"

You only get up to 9 with one digit.
Do you want to go hexadecimal ???????

baucat9

Joined Oct 27, 2014
"This works because the scores don't usually top 20"

You only get up to 9 with one digit.
Do you want to go hexadecimal ???????
No, I will have a one as well in front of the digit. This will be wired together as one and turn on with one deprecate button.

It will look like this: