Base Resistor Value for PNP Transistor on Solar Light Circuit

kmarques

Joined Feb 4, 2018
An alternative to using a zener would be to connect a normal silicon diode in series with the 220Ω resistor. This would have the advantage of not wasting solar cell power in the zener.
Wouldn’t the diode block current from flowing back to the solar panels ground at night?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes. Almost any silicon diode will do.

Actually no. A schottky is always better for blocking diodes, especially when dealing with small panels like the TSs, every little voltage dropped saved by the diode can be used for the battery.

But I am not sure a blocking diode is needed unless the TSs configuration changed. The controller should act as a blocker. The diode should not be needed unless the datasheet calls for it.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Actually no. A schottky is always better for blocking diodes, especially when dealing with small panels like the TSs, every little voltage dropped saved by the diode can be used for the battery.
Even here? The transistor base must be pulled low enough to turn on the transistor. Whether voltage is dropped across the diode or across the resistor in series with it seems irrelevant.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Even here? The transistor base must be pulled low enough to turn on the transistor. Whether voltage is dropped across the diode or across the resistor in series with it seems irrelevant.

As long as the panel is wired direct to the controller. I guess that would work.

kmarques

Joined Feb 4, 2018
Yes. Almost any silicon diode will do.
I,ve completed a prototype and everything is working as it should except for the silicone diode between the pnp base and 220 resistor. If I remove it, the leds work as they should, but now I am concerned with too much voltage at the base. Would a photoresistor in place of the diode make more sense?

kmarques

Joined Feb 4, 2018
Nothing happens when the anode is connected to the resistor and cathode to the base. If I reverse it, I get a very dim light...