band saw motor

corrie

Joined Jul 14, 2011
hi folks, have a question about small band saw motor. It has a tag on the main case describing it as 120 V and the wires run through switch to motor. But it has a pcb loaded with caps and resistors, covered with shrink tube so can't see all, that has very small wires leading from black wire on switch and white wire jumpered from white wire from 1200V input. Wondering what pcb is for. Thank you

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
hi folks, have a question about small band saw motor. It has a tag on the main case describing it as 120 V and the wires run through switch to motor. But it has a pcb loaded with caps and resistors, covered with shrink tube so can't see all, that has very small wires leading from black wire on switch and white wire jumpered from white wire from 1200V input. Wondering what pcb is for. Thank you
Are you worried because it is at 1200 V, or just a worry wart? Does it work as intended? Is it variable speed? What brand is it? Some people might consider anything less than a 120" bandsaw with a 1" blade small.

corrie

Joined Jul 14, 2011
Are you worried because it is at 1200 V, or just a worry wart? Does it work as intended? Is it variable speed? What brand is it? Some people might consider anything less than a 120" bandsaw with a 1" blade small.
The 1200V is a misprint, in case you have never seen one. I am not a worry wart if that is important to this discussion, the reason I asked the question is that I didn't know why the pcb would be there seeing as how the motor was being run on 120V AC and was not being converted to DC or anything else. Also please accept my humble apologies for not stating the size of saw. It is a cheap imported 9 inch saw that vibrates when being used, and yes I have traced it down to the motor being the culprit. Also no it is not variable speed although I do wish it were.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
OK, so what is it not doing that it is supposed to do? I missed that point.

Adjustable speed is important, even if you are limited to only 3 choices. I assume this is a saw for wood only?