Balance Charging with a 5s BMS board

royboy

Joined Sep 25, 2016
I have purchased the following Bms board and find that others I have seen are different, ie you buy a 5s charger cable and solder the wires to the BMS Board and then solder the input wires from the battery + & - to the board. To charge the battery pack you plug the little plug from the board to the Imax B6 charger. The wiring diagram of the BMS Board shows
the plug goes into the socket on the board so how do I charge it with the Imax B6 charger, Do I use the output wires on the diagram to a Pos and Neg input from the charger. I hope this makes sense.

s-l1600.jpg

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Take my comments with a grain of salt: I really want inexpensive balancing LiPo chargers and cutoff modules...

Those make me nervous... You might never have a problem.

1. no thermal sensing/protection
2. balancing resistors are tiny and really do inadequate job of balancing
3. cutoff voltage are usually too high (4.35V) and too low (seen anywhere from 2.2-2.7V) for me - I wish it was adjustable
4. The cutoff needs reset to reactivate unit. - this is ok for safety but annoying
5. No real current sensing for balanced charging...

Anyhow.. please do your research and make sure you're playing safe. Lithium ions are great but can be dangerous without proper protection.

Oh @bertus you have the correct wiring...

Last edited:

royboy

Joined Sep 25, 2016
Hello,

I may be wrong, but in the drawing to top cell is not monitored.
Should there be two extra wires?

View attachment 182014

Bertus
Thank you Bertus The schematic diagram is a copy of the ebay sellers wiring diagram for this 5s BMS so I assumed it was correct although I purchased a 3S BMS from them and queried what the FD and CD soldering platforms was for and they cannot answer my question and require photographs on a purchase they already have photographs the item on ebay. I am totally new to this and knowing the dangers of Li-Ion dangers of charging I will not accept suggestions that seems somewhat irresponsible.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Bertus is correct ... those two extra wires must be included , otherwise how can the voltage in the two end cells be monitored and balanced??

Lithium cells are NOT dangerous !! not doing the right things will just mean they die early

royboy

Joined Sep 25, 2016
Bertus is correct ... those two extra wires must be included , otherwise how can the voltage in the two end cells be monitored and balanced??

Lithium cells are NOT dangerous !! not doing the right things will just mean they die early
Thanks to you also Os I will take Bertus's advice and add the connections. But how do I charge the pack on my Imax B6 as the small plug is not available to plug into the socket of the Balance charge socket on the B6 or do I just connect the Pos & Neg to the out put wires.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Really?!? Ever hear of dendrites in the lithium electrolytes causing internal short discharging all the energy at once? This can happen from over voltage, over current, over temp, puncture and even under voltage.

Last edited:

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Really?!? Ever hear of dendrites in the lithium electrolytes causing internal short discharging all the energy at once? This can happen from over voltage, over current, over temp, puncture and even under voltage.
Unless you hammer in a nail they are quiet safe .... They are used in Billions of laptops I phones and other products ... world wide deaths are ZERO!

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Who said anything about death?

Just be aware of the possibility of failure whigh can be damaging and dangerous.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion

Here are some examples from the web... warning some graphic images...

https://www.classaction.com/news/exploding-galaxy-edge-s7-causes-3rd-degree-burns-man/

https://metro.co.uk/2017/08/21/vaping-101-when-do-vapes-explode-and-what-is-the-risk-6867893/

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywis...-cars/teslas-lithiumion-battery-catches-fire-

upload_2019-7-22_8-43-1.png

upload_2019-7-22_8-43-23.png

This one was caused by a vape pen which commonly use a 18650.
upload_2019-7-22_8-43-48.png