Bad quality chinese parts?

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
I'm not an experienced buyer when it comes to electronics parts. I had previously purchased in China 20 units of this part: IRAMX20UP60A. All of them worked well. Then, I purchased again 20 more units, but this time in another supplier in China. Almost 10 of them exploded when powered up. Three of them didn't explode but didn't work. This made me rethink my design, but I remembered the first time I purchased them, they all worked well. So I ended up thinking that the last ones were poorly made, or they were some China trash. I usually purchase parts on Digikey/Mouser, but I wanted to try those chinese sellers. I'm not happy with the last one. What's behind this? Fake parts? Have any of you had this kind of issue?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What's behind this? Fake parts? Have any of you had this kind of issue?
Don't buy any parts manufactured and/or shipped from China unless they come from a reputable distributor.

AliExpress, Amazon, eBay, etc are not reputable distributors. Only buy from them if you're willing to accept fake, counterfeit, rejected, recycled, or otherwise substandard parts.

EDIT: A trick of those illegitimate sellers is to throw in some genuine parts so you have to do 100% incoming QA to catch them.

Can you post well focused close up photos of any remaining parts? It would be interesting to see if any of the tell tale indicators of counterfeit parts are present.

Last edited:

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I would never buy name brand products such as that directly from China, in fact the only products I will buy directly from China are ones that come from known Chinese factories. (mostly LEDs)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If they're manufactured in China, you still need to buy from a reputable distributor. Otherwise, you could be buying rejects.
Rejects and or counterfeit parts which China is notorious for. When I buy parts from a reputable US distributor I pretty much know what is in the box is what I want. I also know if the part is a for example a $25.00 USD part and I can buy them for $2.00 USD something isn't right. There are reputable suppliers in China, the trick being to know you have a reputable and reliable distributor.

Ron