Bad day with linux wiped harddrive

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Bad day with linux I wiped out my hard drive maybe 5 years of my life gone.
Got to watch where you click I was formating a usb drive and moved my mouse off the drive and click
windows 10 gone for good. Wish there was a way to get it back LOL.

qrb14143

Joined Mar 6, 2017
I remember being warned to watch out for unscrupulous linux command line tutorials telling you to type a command which would delete all of the contents of your hard drive. Quite a nasty trick to play on a beginner.

Unless you actually clicked the option to overwrite the whole drive with zeros, is there no way you can recover some stuff?

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Oooh thats nasty! At least you got rid of Windows 10. Just bought a new laptop loaded with windows 10. Most frustrating operating system ever devised. Its crap in my opinion.
Hope you can get your data back somehow. Maybe take it to the FBI or NSA. They may be able to recover something.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Bad day with linux I wiped out my hard drive maybe 5 years of my life gone.
Got to watch where you click I was formating a usb drive and moved my mouse off the drive and click
windows 10 gone for good. Wish there was a way to get it back LOL.
Not to rub it in, or anything, but I'm sure you got a warning first: "This will delete everything on the drive!" or something like that.

The warnings are there for a reason.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Data may still be recoverable if you stopped using the drive after formatting. The last time I researched this, heads could be adjusted to read the the fringe of the normal tracks.

Data recovery companies will be able to do this, but service won't be cheap.

If you didn't do a secure erase, recovery would be easier.

EDIT: Assuming external hard drive; not USB FLASH drive.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Not to rub it in, or anything, but I'm sure you got a warning first: "This will delete everything on the drive!" or something like that.
yep it looked just like the usb drive

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I got most stuff saved LOL the usb drive was big I answer the phone click on my hardrive and it looked like the same dive two big partitions. I didn't format it I deleted it going to add it back as one big disks

windows not what would of hurt it's the linux one that I don't have saved on nothing well the computer booted
I still have linux just no windows.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
windows not what would of hurt it's the linux one that I don't have saved on nothing well the computer booted
I still have linux just no windows.
I was on a roll ok.

I just wiped out windows 10 it wouldn't of hurt that bad cause I don't used it much.
But had Linux got wiped out I would of been mad I still don't see how I missed it

And for Joey I'm not new to linux I just didn't see it changed drives cause I picked up the phone
and ubuntu ask for password to use the Disks tool anyways so that's not a brain clicker there.
I miss Gparted will not run on 17.04 ubuntu

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You can get it but it don't run And I don't feel like making it work
I see now why I missed i had changed disk when format box is open you can't see the disk name
with the disk tool

And yes Joey it's still on apt but gparted will not run on my Linux and I'm not really wanting to fix it
I can use fdisk and mkfs

I was fixing my usb thumb drive and had burned a iso on it.
Screenshot from 2017-12-07 18-14-24.png

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You can get it but it don't run And I don't feel like making it work
I see now why I missed i had changed disk when format box is open you can't see the disk name
with the disk tool

And yes Joey it's still on apt but gparted will not run on my Linux and I'm not really wanting to fix it
I can use fdisk and mkfs

I was fixing my usb thumb drive and had burned a iso on it.
View attachment 141121
Ha! You are correct that gparted (and other utilities that require root privileges) will not run under 17.04 with the Wayland display server. Supposedly, this is a security thing.

I've never run Wayland...I prefer Unity under x.org, so I never hit the problem.

Just log in under x.org. There should be an option on your login screen.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I was hoping i could just do a reset of my drive but when I set it like it was it show me losing my linux partion.
It shows me having 456 g free I set it to just change it back to windows and it kills Linux.
hell I'll leave it alone.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I quit using linux for about a year I had some programs that only worked on windows good.
Ide's for microcontrollers But Mplab-X Now handles the arm and avr and oh yes the pic so
I installed ubuntu like deb too but 16 ubuntu looked good and last week I did a upgrade to
17.10 it messed up some stuff so Joey your saying Wayland maybe be the problem.
You are right I switched to Unity That fixed the Gtk problems.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
dropbox your important files, with android devices all your photos and videos are backed up on google too

Hard drives crashing is a matter of statistics, deleted all by mistake, oh well...