Bad appliance capacitor? Lowest resistance is 5K ohm

Steve El

Joined Oct 1, 2012
Just learning. From a busted dehumidifier I removed the startup capacitor 330v 40uf +/-5

After discharging, testing with an analog meter set to 10k ohm, the needle moves sorta-fast to 5k ohm then slowly rises to infinity. The how-to guides all say it should jump to zero and rise to infinity. Since the lowest reading I get is 5K ohms, is this capacitor bad?

N11778

Joined Dec 4, 2015
most likely not they test different with different meters. sounds ok though
"Busted" How? what are the symptoms.

Steve El

Joined Oct 1, 2012
Thanks for replying. My goal, mostly for learning, is to verify the compressor is getting the expected power at start-up. BACKSTORY: The unit was at the end of expected life and I believe the compressor is frozen. I replaced it, and decided do mess around with the old one's electronics to learn some basic diagnostics. That was a year ago. Today I pulled the old one out of storage.... to learn and then recycle if not fixable. GOOD: powers up, control panel works, blower fan turns, capacitor charges with a 9-volt battery. BAD: Compressor does not run. WORST: Stupid me - I didn't leave notes whether the compressor hummed or just sat their silent and can't remember. MY GOAL: mostly for learning, I want to verify the compressor is getting the expected power at start-up.