Back to Work (again),

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I was pretty low when I lost the job from hell. To add to the problems, I was denied unemployment benefits. That hurt.

Looks like it was a good thing in the long run. I am back at Raytheon, as a contractor. I switch to 3rd shift (10PM - 6:30AM tonight), which is no big deal. I worked for 11 years on 3rd.

Day shift was a killer though. Getting up at 4AM really didn't agree with me. I can't seem to force myself to go to bed at 8PM.

It is a long drive, but things are looking up.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Welcome back and congratulations.

I finally found a job in September. It is nice to have positive cash flow again! ☺7

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Ok, what's the story with the big lack of engineers and America needs to open up more Visas for foreign workers because we cannot find enough in the US? Before posting, I searched a bit myself and found this...

A story in Forbes that disputes the need for more STEM educated individuals. The Forbes article says "the only dispute is whether there is a 100 or 200% excess of STEM trained workers in the US"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgel...-america-desperately-needs-more-stem-workers/

Is the RUMOR from:
- A) Misguided do-gooders or even preppers who want to make sure america doesn't fall behind?
- B) Employed Engineers trying to keep current salaries and benefits from declining
- C) unemployed engineers trying to stimulate a frenzied hiring spree
- D) there is a shortage of engineers but since there is a huge glut of biologists, the FORBES article that generalized STEM as interchangeable commodity, the FORBES article just screwed up the question and is not helpful.
- E) none of the above

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Congrats Boss ..

I am currently looking to hear back from a company as per a delivery driver ... Last Friday I had to pass my DOT med card physical [ I passed and got my 2 yrs card] for this new job and so I can keep my CDL Class A...

I am happy for you and hope everything works out ...

Jay Sr

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Ok, what's the story with the big lack of engineers and America needs to open up more Visas for foreign workers because we cannot find enough in the US? Before posting, I searched a bit myself and found this...

A story in Forbes that disputes the need for more STEM educated individuals. The Forbes article says "the only dispute is whether there is a 100 or 200% excess of STEM trained workers in the US"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgel...-america-desperately-needs-more-stem-workers/

Is the RUMOR from:
- A) Misguided do-gooders or even preppers who want to make sure america doesn't fall behind?
- B) Employed Engineers trying to keep current salaries and benefits from declining
- C) unemployed engineers trying to stimulate a frenzied hiring spree
- D) there is a shortage of engineers but since there is a huge glut of biologists, the FORBES article that generalized STEM as interchangeable commodity, the FORBES article just screwed up the question and is not helpful.
- E) none of the above
You missed one

F) Employers wanting cheaper foreign engineers who accept smaller salaries, fewer benefits and are easier to get rid of if the market takes a dive

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You missed one

F) Employers wanting cheaper foreign engineers who accept smaller salaries, fewer benefits and are easier to get rid of if the market takes a dive

And it extends to software engineers too. We have a significant percentage of foreign workers at my company. I would love to see 5-10 years from now when all of those systems need upgrading and no one is around that understands the code.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
then there is " the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". companies seem to want to hire people from ouside rather than promoting or keeping people they already have. back inj the 70's when I worked for NCR, it seemed that most of the engineers were named PATEL. and a few years later NCR had a plant in india, and sold the wichita division.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
my wife worked for raytheon in wichits, the old beechcraft, she got layed off two years ago, and it doent look like she will be called back. the raytheon beechcraft turned into beechcraft, now cessna beechcraft.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I was pretty low when I lost the job from hell. To add to the problems, I was denied unemployment benefits. That hurt.

Looks like it was a good thing in the long run. I am back at Raytheon, as a contractor. I switch to 3rd shift (10PM - 6:30AM tonight), which is no big deal. I worked for 11 years on 3rd.

Day shift was a killer though. Getting up at 4AM really didn't agree with me. I can't seem to force myself to go to bed at 8PM.

It is a long drive, but things are looking up.
Raytheon is a good company. At our shop, half our guys are Raytheon and the other half are CSC (like me!) I'm on swing shift, so things are pretty quiet. They don't mind if I write books when nothing else is pressing. I get paid (handsomely, I might add) to show up. LOL

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
People in USA always stay in the same shift?

Here, for services covered around the clock, every shift changes after 15 or 21 days.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am a believer in Karma (though not religious about it). What goes around comes around.
Our onsite foreign workers are significant. I would say 20% at least in the IT departments. Probably far, far more when you count offshore workers but that count is a secret.

Hard to believe a company would trust their apps to offshore workers. No telling what they are putting into the code. Sure criminal behavior can occur with onsite employees too but at least you can get to them

Frankly I hope it all crashes and burns but only after I cash in my stock. ;)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
People in USA always stay in the same shift?

Here, for services covered around the clock, every shift changes after 15 or 21 days.
Typically. It would really depend on the company and even the department head for that matter.

I have not had to work anything but 1st shift since my days at Texas Instruments.