Average transformer weight

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Does anyone have tables or formula for copper winding isolation transformer weight ?
I want to buy at least dozens of used 220v 50hz 2000va single phase, copper winding, do you think 24000 grams is suspected to be pure copper winding or not ?, its doesnt have nameplate or any labels

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Most of the weight would be the iron core, not the copper windings.
24kg is heavy for a 2000VA transformer. I have a 1800VA HV transformer that weighs about 16 to 17kg.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You may have a problem finding definitive information for transformer construction, to get an idea of stampings size and weight would be to take down details of existing devices in your Va size.
The typical turns per volt of a EI lamination transformers is 4.5. to 5.5 turns/volt.
A Toroidal version is typically 2 T/V.
The copper gauge would be based on the resultant required (K)Va.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
You may have a problem finding definitive information for transformer construction, to get an idea of stampings size and weight would be to take down details of existing devices in your Va size.
The typical turns per volt of a EI lamination transformers is 4.5. to 5.5 turns/volt.
A Toroidal version is typically 2 T/V.
The copper gauge would be based on the resultant required (K)Va.
Its EI version, not toroidal

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Try visiting distributor sites and collecting information about transformers that are available today. A long time ago I had custom transformers designed and even during initial telephone calls one engineer would estimate the amount of iron and copper that would be needed. Still, it is probably much better to just look at some real-world examples that are available than to think about what might be.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have come across control transformers with aluminum windings. The transformer functioned quite adequately but the customer would not accept a transformer with an aluminum winding. They are not as efficient as copper nor as durable. But they cost a bit less.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Does anyone have tables or formula for copper winding isolation transformer weight ?
I want to buy at least dozens of used 220v 50hz 2000va single phase, copper winding, do you think 24000 grams is suspected to be pure copper winding or not ?, its doesnt have nameplate or any labels
Often it can be detected by checking the windings where they exit to the terminals.
One give away is if they are soldered.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The amount of iron has a large effect on the weight, and of course transformers for 50Hz use must have more iron for any given power level.
To have a fair hint at the power capacity examine the core area through the center.
Of course, transformers in some localities may have been subject to excessively optomistic power claims.
I would also be concerned about the insulation resistance of used transformers. If they are not intended for outside installation I would be unwilling to trust any that had been out in the weather. Water and moisture will cause insulation failures eventually, or almost immediately.
So I suggest using a "megger" type of insulation tester prior to purchasing used transformers.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Good idea... Price for used is only 1:4 of new transformer, also it's good for environment to reused parts
One thing to check for when using used transformers is they often have a weld bead ran across the laminations in order to prevent 50hz/60hz 'buzz'.
In some cases I have ground it down, as long as it is not too deep!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Really there is not much of a substitute for experience in examining transformers and understanding how they are made to help with determining the value of what one is actually purchasing. Trying to pass that skill via the internet is not adequate.
Dealing with an honest and capable supplier is the best way to avoid making a wrong choice. The resistance checks and close examinations will help those who understand what they are doing, but passing that understanding to another is not a simple thing.