Automaton quartz clock - advice for a novice

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I don't know if it's my browser, but I can't seem to get a larger version of your image. From what I can see, you might want to consider a small relay to control the motor, and use the reed switch to trigger the relay. Reed switches may or may not hold up if connected directly to the motor, depending on the current rating for the switch and the current demand of the motor.

Pushing the button on your sound player is just shorting 2 pins on the sound player together. Grab your multi meter, put it on continuity (beeps when you touch the leads together), then use that to figure out which pins on the button are shorted when the button is pressed. If you solder a couple of wires to those pins, then shorting the wires together will be the same as pushing the button.

Probably the easiest way to go is to use a couple of small relays, one for the motor and one to short the wires that you soldered on your sound player. Use the reed switch to control the relays. If you decide that the reed switch keeps the sound player button down too long (wires shorted too long) then let us know and we can help you with parts to turn that signal into a brief button press.