Automatic chicken door is becoming my guillotine

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Hello everybody!

I am from the Netherlands and I am NOT a professional in electronics but I am working on an automatic chicken door and I am absolutely stuck. I think however that this forum is for professionals only so I won't go into details right now.

If I am allowed to ask questions on this forum as Mr Nitwit I am sure some will let me know and else I wish you all healthy Christmas!

Thanks!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
This forum welcomes all-comers; professionals, hobbyists students ......
There have been many posts about chicken coop doors. Try the search button at top right of the page.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Hello Alec,

I have but all the posts that I have read, elsewhere as well, don't solve my problem. But as I now know that I can ask some questions I will put everything together in an order that is understandable and upload it later.

Thanks!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One thing to consider is what type of wildlife do you need to protect the chickens from. In the US we have racoons, coyotes (like wild dogs), and wolves. Where one of my daughters lives, they even have black bears. They can be a real problem.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
I am trying to avoid a divorce, not trying to keep wild boars out.

My wife wakes up shortly after she's gone to bed to let the chickens out and I feel that I should stop pushing her bum out of the bed asap.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't think that my daughter is quite at the point of divorce or anything near that. About every year or two, a wolf get in. Then you start over. Raccoons can be stopped, but they are smart. You can't really stop a momma bear. You just hope they avoid you.

What specifically do you want in an automatic door/ramp?

Edit: I forgot about foxes. They are pretty smart too and make a real mess.

Last edited:

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
The actuator has limit switches and works fine IF connected directly to the transformer. No, I don't have a multi meter except my fingers. They work fine with the local 220V but not with 12V. You don't feel anything!

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
I haven't tried that yet - after 5 hours I had enough of it. But I suppose I should. Should be the same diagram, just without the cell. I will try and let you know later but 'later' probably means tomorrow this time.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Hi, yeah, I got that. But it also implies a bit that what I have done is all correct. And in that case I got 2 new but faulty photo cells.

twohats

Joined Oct 28, 2015
I'm new to posting attachments, as you can see.
You need to sort out your connections: there should be an output on the sensor, wire that to your relay coil, not the relay contacts.
Good luck, mines a double yoked one.

Hi, yeah, I got that. But it also implies a bit that what I have done is all correct. And in that case I got 2 new but faulty photo cells.
Some commercial style photo cells have built in delays of a few minutes. This prevents false triggering from, say, lightening. How long did you have the photo cell covered for.

Some commercial style photo cells have built in delays of a few minutes. This prevents false triggering from, say, lightening. How long did you have the photo cell covered for.