Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
twohats
Joined Oct 28, 2015 153
3 minutes ago
This is turning into a saga.

Yes, I agree with you.

Both actuators work fine when connected directly to the transformer

' I'm sure the sensors & relays are good, the odds against two duff ones of each is too high.'

I agree with that too. (see the post above)

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Twohats: Anniel meant the photo cells. I can't read the ultra small fine print that says that my last hours with a sane mind have arrived but the picture I took and uploaded says: 12A 125 VAC and 10A 250 VAC and 10A 250 VAC (YES, AGAIN!!!) and 28 VDC.

The sticker on the thing says DC12V

I shall make an appointment with Mr Xi. If any of you have anything to say to him too I will pass on the message.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
You are making a rotisserie?

Well, apart from the photo cells and the temp controllers earlier we got another product delivered. Covid.

So I lost my job, got bored sick and decided to keep chickens.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
The link to the supplier anniel747 has a number of reviews. They sold 110 V, 220 V and 12 V to people all over the world and without exception all buyers said +++++

These things are mass produced, 12 V is 12 V so can I trust them? I can't say for sure 100%

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Still, the forum masters are running out of hardware storage space but any progress hasn't been made really. I could organize a beer and fried chicken party and a few cheap tickets on Delta.

Anyone?

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
I have no idea. The same product or products are sold by hundreds of sellers. The black box in the picture with all the currents on them is a known name. I checked that on Google.

If you enter 'photo cell' in Google you will get 5000 results and half of them all look exactly the same as this one or any other one in the link I sent of the seller.

I also bought hinges, saloon door hinges. To avoid custom duties I just ordered similar ones from different suppliers and all the hinges delivered are exactly the same and came with the same printed box. It's the same with these cells, one manufacturer, hundreds of sellers.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
But as I can't do much more than testing and if really nothing works, let's try a different approach. We know for a fact that the transformer works. The actuators work too. So the minimum requirement is:

Doors (plural as I already have 3 coops now) open in the morning so my dear wife will keep loving me. That should go automatically. Timer? Again, these 12 V timers are also mass produced and offered by hundreds of sellers and all are 100% the same. (and cost nothing at all)

In the evening I don't mind pushing a button so the coop doors close. Once a week you adjust the timer.

That would be a temporarily solution. After I have spoken Xi we'll go for a permanent one.

Is that an idea?

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
If the photo cells don't work and the relay is suffering from a chronic illness then perhaps a different approach is the way to go.

A timer (that was my suggestion) and a relay switch button. But yeah, all are made in China too .......

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
I tried that Anniel by connecting one pin for + and one pin for - but I am not sure which ones I should connect as in the schedule 2 x + and 2x - pins are connected.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
There is no datasheet on the sellers website. And the name of the relay is OMROTI which seems to be almost the same as OMROT whose relays are made in Japan and have the same price as a Toyota Camry.

I am now going to connect pin 7 and 8, don't go off to the swimming pool yet!

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
YES YES YES YIPPEE YES!

I connected 7 to neg of transformer and 8 to pos of transformer and a b e a u t f u l green light has now lit the country!

I have now conquered the Mount Everest, at least the first 30 inch

This is exhausting, I want to be a Grizzly bear and go in hibernation for a while

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Can you post a picture of the etch side of the PCB in the photocell unit ? I have worked out if you tried connecting the bulb between the sensor output and supply positive. ( In your pictures it was connected between the sensor output and supply negative.) As we now know that relay contacts control the output it is OK to use the headlamp bulb for testing.

Les.

Sofa

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Right, so now the green led is on. I hope that was just step one!

Now, shall I connect exactly as it says as in image 5 but forget about the photo cell? And then swap connection 7 and 8 in case the actuator doesn't move?