Automatic Changeover Switch

sammyunique

Joined Apr 28, 2016
Please I have a 4kw generator with a OFF/ON/START function on the same button switch,please can I get help on building an automatic changeover switch of 100Amps on it.Please I need the explanation possibly with or without diagram.Thanks in advance.please I would prefer it with automatic START/STOP Of generator.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You could use a DPDT 100A, rated for the mains voltage, relay activated by the generator output voltage.
The house wiring goes to the wiper, the NC goes to the mains, and the NO goes to the generator output.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to do a simple Google of "automatic generator transfer switch wiring diagram" and similar text. Something you need to consider is making absolutely sure that a generator can never back feed into the mains power lines. Frequently the relays used are dual relays with a mechanical interlock. Things are done this way for a good reason. When I was using a small 4 KW unit I was doing a back feed through a mechanical breaker. I configured it so back feed into the mains was never going to happen. Today I have an 18 KW unit using fully automatic transfer with a mechanical lock out. Anyway, try Google and read up on the subject and look at some drawings of how it is accomplished. Also feel free to ask any more questions here.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The scheme I proposed can't do that.
The scheme you proposed would work fine. I simply suggested a Google for some circuits and mentioned it was essential that things be configured so any generator back feed into the mains was impossible. Your suggestion would work just fine. I never suggested or implied it wouldn't did I?

Ron

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The scheme you proposed would work fine. I simply suggested a Google for some circuits and mentioned it was essential that things be configured so any generator back feed into the mains was impossible. Your suggestion would work just fine. I never suggested or implied it wouldn't did I?
Didn't mean to suggest you did. :oops:

I just wanted to clarify for the TS that my scheme did not have that problem

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Oh, OK. I was just wondering. :) No shortage of ways to go about it and what you suggested is both simple and inexpensive.

Ron