Auto dimming LCD HUD project (AL sensor)

htevents

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Hello all,

I am planning to build a custom Android HUD for my car. It will be build into a 3 cm high case, where the screen will lay on top of the case, so it will reflect in the windshield. Inside the case there will be an Android mini pc connected to the screen by HDMI. All good so far, the only problem is that I need to find a way to have the display dim itself when the ambient light is getting dark(er), so that the screen is bright in daylight, but dim at night.

Can I (just) add a light sensor to the LCD controllerboard and if yes, what is the best and ofcourse cheapest way to do that or should I approach this different?

Thank you in advance.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Not as easy as that, you need to find out if the lcd backlight can be dimmed to start with, if these lcd screens are LEDs then yes, if they are inverter and CFL tubes then probably no.

htevents

Joined Apr 24, 2020
I see a lot of Raspberry Pi lcd displays on ebay for example. The can be dimmed, but what makes them so special and different from other screens? I see they have HDMI input, but also a connoctor with a lot of pins (they go on the RPi pins, I see that), but why do they have both HDMI and that pinconnector?