Victoria is in its 5th wave
NSW is bad getting worse
Were at 17% vaccinated

Just crazy

4340.2802.66247a654518d3654347bd41cc442b793c2afa2857e37b6fe4319017defbc9d1

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
I am a Victorian and live in Melbourne.

We have a shortage of vaccinations and rules that have stopped me from getting it (being a healthy person under 40yo)

Although I believe that it's changed in the last week or so and I can get the AZ...

However: With these low vaccination rates Victoria has eleminated quite a few outbreaks successfully (which I'm quite proud of) through hard work and a team like attitude.

I've had to travel quite a bit for work over the last year and have been to Sydney - I've said many times that the reason that there has been no outbreak there is shear dumb luck - No one seemed to care there (in stark contrast to Melbourne). Although I later came to believe that it was their poorly designed roads and congested traffic that was stopping any spread!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Not quite martial law. From Wikipedia:
Martial law is the temporary imposition of direct military control of normal civil functions or suspension of civil law by a government, especially in response to a temporary emergency where civil forces are overwhelmed...

I've been through it twice because of coups that I clearly remember and once during a curfew called because of riots in the capital. During martial law the police were not visible and during the curfew the army was on the streets all over the place every night, though that was not martial law.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Like in other places, we here in Oz have pea-brained selfish folk who just will not stoop to wearing masks as it must interfere with their good looks.
They just do not care for the welfare of others.
Some time ago, we had an infected guy drive through out city and stop here then "forgot" to mention it when asked.
He was responsible for quite a quite a few infections along his trip as he went and sat to eat in places when his permit only allowed drive through.
It only takes a few to make it really hard on those who do the correct thing.
This is something I have had real problems with understanding all along.
If you want to stop the lock downs, just do what is asked on medical grounds and forget the politics!

My wife is from USA and we are really pleased we live in Australia.
13 of our friends over there have had Covid19, and 1 has died.
I do not personally know anyone here who has caught it.
And as I already have damaged lungs, I definitely do not want to get it!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Like in other places, we here in Oz have pea-brained selfish folk who just will not stoop to wearing masks as it must interfere with their good looks.
They just do not care for the welfare of others.
Some time ago, we had an infected guy drive through out city and stop here then "forgot" to mention it when asked.
He was responsible for quite a quite a few infections along his trip as he went and sat to eat in places when his permit only allowed drive through.
It only takes a few to make it really hard on those who do the correct thing.
This is something I have had real problems with understanding all along.
If you want to stop the lock downs, just do what is asked on medical grounds and forget the politics!

My wife is from USA and we are really pleased we live in Australia.
13 of our friends over there have had Covid19, and 1 has died.
I do not personally know anyone here who has caught it.
And as I already have damaged lungs, I definitely do not want to get it!
I been to OZ several times and love the place but ...

Sadly, OZ is dependent on pea-brained selfish folk to keep the COVID Zero policy intact. The virus has evolved to defeat COVID Zero defenses that depend on sensible behaviors by utilizing the pea-brained selfish folk.

You guys are screwed unless there is a quick, massive, vaccination effort with a total population mandate because you will not eliminate pea-brained selfish folk.

Last edited:

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
The vaccination rate is low because we've had a *shortage*.

We still have a shorage of Pfizer.

There has been restrictions on who can get vaccinated because of this.

I agree that the vaccination rate needs to be higher, but don't make an argument from ignorance.

It's not like we've had the massive problems that the USA have had - I have to say that the USA has done really well to go from, well, a punch line to a world leader in Covid - Well done!

Do you think that it has anything to do with the election?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The vaccination rate is low because we've had a *shortage*.
There was a 'shortage' of urgency in OZ. Your vax rate is low because of pandemic policy that coasted in the isolation from the worlds coronavirus problem for nearly a year will no sense of urgency for people to get vaccinated until delta
kicked down the front door and shattered the nice tea-party that was happening.

In some ways IMO Australia's Zero policy was too good because the normalcy of daily life lulled the population and government leadership into thinking there would always be plenty of time for the vaccination end-game.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You're in competition with countries that are breeding grounds for future variants so you're not on the top of the list at the present time. While your case levels are breaking the local COVID Zero policy OZ wishes to maintain, they are not at world emergency levels where 1st gen vaccines are fighting a firestorm that might sweep the world in a few months from places like Brazil or Indonesia where the US is sends large amounts of doses.

You guys have been in near total isolation (a very good policy that's traditionally been effective for Australia) for much of the pandemic, sadly you should expect that to continue for a while. The 2nd gen vaccines will likely be what you really want instead of going all out to obtain what's currently available because of current government promises.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...generation-covid-19-vaccines/?sh=743ea7fa6c97
Pfizer and Moderna’s mRNA vaccines represent the cream of the current crop—and many low- to middle-income countries have only restricted access to both. Their reserves are stocked with Covid-19 vaccines that still possess protective capabilities, but pack a more modest punch, especially against new SARS-CoV-2 variants. According to one study, against the Beta variant, the ability of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to protect from severe illness and death remains at 97 percent. For the AstraZeneca vaccine, according to another study, that percentage is just 10.4.

The Delta variant, which now accounts for the lion’s share of new Covid-19 infections in many countries, is even more infectious and lethal than the Beta variant—yet another reason why we need more tools in our arsenal capable of generating vigorous immune protection. We can expect clinical trials for at least one candidate, the heat-tolerant hCMP-mRBD vaccine, to be held later this year. My hope is they arrive at our doorstep before a variant even more infectious than Delta gets there first.

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
The heat-tolerant hCMP-mRBD vaccine sounds promising.

However, with trials to start later this year, I'm not going to hold my breath. At this stage it has only been administered to mice and guinea pigs in tandem (with great results), but we need to remember that a human body can behave differently, so we'll have to wait and see how the trials go.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The heat-tolerant hCMP-mRBD vaccine sounds promising.

However, with trials to start later this year, I'm not going to hold my breath. At this stage it has only been administered to mice and guinea pigs in tandem (with great results), but we need to remember that a human body can behave differently, so we'll have to wait and see how the trials go.
So far the longer term T-Cell protection is intact from 1st gen vaccination and prior infection as a prevention from serious COVID-19 sickness caused by variant infection.
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-...n-why-immunity-is-about-more-than-antibodies/

If your goal is to reduce COVID-19 sickness the 1st gen vaccines will work but if your goal is to reduce total cases to some very low level, today's vaccines are increasingly less effective with each more contagious variant.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
So far the longer term T-Cell protection is intact from 1st gen vaccination and prior infection as a prevention from serious COVID-19 sickness caused by variant infection.
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-...n-why-immunity-is-about-more-than-antibodies/

If your goal is to reduce COVID-19 sickness the 1st gen vaccines will work but if your goal is to reduce total cases to some very low level, today's vaccines are increasingly less effective with each more contagious variant.
From everything I have read, T cell protection is not well understood, but appears to be working.

So far the only goal I see is to pump as many vaccines and booster shots into as many people as possible without really asking any questions.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
From everything I have read, T cell protection is not well understood, but appears to be working.

So far the only goal I see is to pump as many vaccines and booster shots into as many people as possible without really asking any questions.
The alternative is a hell of lot more deaths from COVID-19. It's well worth the small risk from all the data we currently have on side-effects of the vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.