Electrical appliance use outside Australia

Desperate

Joined Mar 3, 2011
My family and I plan to travel to the US shortly and, as they run on 110v 60Hz, I was wondering if my electric jug (which I plan to take with me), will work over there and can I just plug it in using an adapter.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Yes it might work but its going to take a very long time to boil a cup of water. Since the input voltage to the jug will be about 1/2 of what it gets in Australia the heating element will be producing only 1/4 of its rated output power.

In any case why bother dragging it half way across the world, I'm sure they sell Chinese made electric jugs in the US for a couple of dollars just as they do here in Aust.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I wonder if they will be all that easily available in the USA. Some years ago when travelling, I was taken aback to discover that electric kettles were almost unknown in France. This has changed somewhat over the years, and now you do see them occasionally, particularly in hotel rooms. That said, they are not the standard household item that they are in UK. Perhaps this is because the French drink more coffee than tea (as do the Americans)?

Could someone from the USA please advise us if they use electric kettles?

Desperate

Joined Mar 3, 2011
Thank you for all the responses. Your comments have been most interesting, however, if I were to buy a jug over there, what happens when I want to charge my mobile phone. Am I simply not able to do this while in the U.S.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Many (but not all!) mobile phone chargers will happily work from either 240V or 110V. Take the phone and the charger to your phone supplier and they will be able to tell you if yours will work on both 240V and 110V or if it can't then they should be able to sell you one that can.