Australia is crazy, Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...-up-at-anti-lockdown-protest-in-auckland.html

COVID-19: One person shows up at anti-lockdown protest in Auckland

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...n-says-new-zealand-can-t-eliminate-delta.html
Kiwis have responded with anger and determination after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison suggested New Zealand can't eliminate Delta from the community.
On Tuesday, Morrison told 9News New Zealand's elimination strategy - which has been effective in quashing all previous COVID-19 outbreaks here - was "absurd" in the face of the significantly more transmissible Delta variant.
"Any state and territory that thinks that somehow they can protect themselves from COVID with the Delta strain forever, that's just absurd," he said.
"I would like to personally thank Scott Morrison for ensuring 100 percent of Aotearoa now wants to smash Covid again, just to spite his Covid-loving ass," one Twitter user wrote.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08...ut-down-over-alleged-covid-breaches/100420730
A brothel in Sydney's west has been shut down after police allegedly found customers and employees inside, not wearing face masks.
A total of $12,500 in fines were issued after police were called to the Royal Asian Brothel on Euston Road in Rydalmere last night.

One of the men claimed he visited the brothel to issue a quote for a paint job, while the other said he was visiting his girlfriend.
That's a good one.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.nationalreview.com/corn...ia-boy-i-hope-youre-proud-were-spying-on-you/
I just read Conor Friedersdorf’s piece on Australia’s astonishing COVID-inspired restrictions and one part in particular jumped out at me.

Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”
Some weird characters down there.

Last edited:

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
Lol - You posted that as satire, right?

The gov can't force you to download an app in Australia, because it is not mandatory to own a smart phone.

They can ask you to (like they did with the covid safe apps), but they can't force you as that editorial suggested.

If the app required frequent photos it would be annoying, and everyone who had the app would just delete it.

Just... wow...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Lol - You posted that as satire, right?

The gov can't force you to download an app in Australia, because it is not mandatory to own a smart phone.

They can ask you to (like they did with the covid safe apps), but they can't force you as that editorial suggested.

If the app required frequent photos it would be annoying, and everyone who had the app would just delete it.

Just... wow...
Is Home Quarantine SA compulsory?
No. Home Quarantine SA is voluntary at this time. It provides a safe, sustainable and cost effective alternative to medi-hotel quarantine.
That article I posted was over the top but not by much IMO when you look at the amount of 1984isms in the OZ quarantine rules. A little push-back to this sort of
stuff is healthy for democracy.
Wow is right, you do have a choice, at this time. Quarantine in their homes or in “quarantine hotels” for 14 days.

https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/home-quarantine-app/home-quarantine-sa-user-faqs
In the app, you will be able:

• view your expected quarantine completion date
  • view your COVID-19 testing schedule and receive reminder notifications
  • complete daily symptom checks
  • complete randomised location check-ins using live face recognition
  • access health and wellbeing support and resources.
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...n-to-implement-during-quarantine-measures.htm
West Australian G2G Now
He noted that he thinks every single South Australian should feel proud that they are the national pilot for the new home-based quarantine app. Another similar application that is known as the G2G Now was developed by the Australian technology firm called GenVis is also being used by the West Australian government in order to monitor people that are in quarantine.

The use of the app is reportedly voluntary except for individuals that are traveling from a certain "high risk jurisdiction" according to the app's FAQ. The app's description reads that performing quarantine checks is now actually quick, fun, and easy with the help of G2G Now.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Most of these apps will have a limited lifetime if the Covid Zero strategy is abandoned as they accelerate its vaccination program.

IMO this Covid Zero strategy is what happens when science, backed by government power is unbridled from the humanitarian in the pursuit and maintenance of some noble warlike goal. Once a Fortress Nation morphs into a fearful and insular nation it's hard to pull back and let go of that power while the mortal fear promoted by that strategy of eliminating X exists in that nation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-58406526
Australia has changed its Covid strategy: it's time to leave lockdowns and "come out of the cave", Prime Minister Scott Morrison has said.
With vaccinations accelerating, he says Australians will soon "live with the virus" for the first time - that is, not try to eliminate it.
It's a drastic shift for a country used to seeing very few infections.
Queensland and Western Australia are now refusing to open their states while Sydney sees more than 1,000 infections a day.
"I just cannot understand why there are people over there saying we should deliberately infect ourselves," Western Australia Premier Mark McGowan has said.
But Mr Morrison argues those states can't hide from the virus forever.
"Most states in Australia need to realise that eventually they have to come off Covid zero, because it's just not sustainable forever," says Prof Mueller.
"You have to start preparing people for what life looks like, you have to start looking for solutions to the problem rather than just stopping at the problem."

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A lack of concern about the virus in Western Australia is reflected in the lowest vaccination rate in the country, at 36.3%, followed by Queensland at 36.4%. The national vaccination rate is 40.4%.
I wish them well but do they really think their border isolation will stop the Delta virus for much longer?

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/co...d-border-cold-stay-until-april-ng-b881999362z
Mark McGowan has dropped a border bombshell, revealing WA could remain closed to COVID-stricken eastern States until April.

While he has acknowledged he “can’t keep the State locked forever”, the Premier told The West Australian that WA’s reopening date could still be seven months away.
This saga reminds me of the car race from 'On the Beach'. Time is limited so lets enjoy it while we can even if it kills us.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I wish them well but do they really think their border isolation will stop the Delta virus for much longer?

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/co...d-border-cold-stay-until-april-ng-b881999362z

This saga reminds me of the car race from 'On the Beach'. Time is limited so lets enjoy it while we can even if it kills us.

Much in the same as our Hospitals begin to fill, may also be their reality, they may face an insurgent that will overwhelm their health care system, if hypothetically they mitigate it to a trickle may prove successful, but I question that theory in favor of the virus, history will show either it falls to 3n + 1 but with the results of vaxx not properly controlling, it’s a wait and see until it ’the virus’ has found all available host’s thereby loosing to 3n + 1 or not, then still remains a variable.

kv

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Much in the same as our Hospitals begin to fill, may also be their reality, they may face an insurgent that will overwhelm their health care system, if hypothetically they mitigate it to a trickle may prove successful, but I question that theory in favor of the virus, history will show either it falls to 3n + 1 but with the results of vaxx not properly controlling, it’s a wait and see until it ’the virus’ has found all available host’s thereby loosing to 3n + 1 or not, then still remains a variable.

kv
They are serious about measures to keep covid-zero in some states.
https://news.yahoo.com/australian-island-state-tasmania-zero-110736471.html
The Australian island state of Tasmania, with zero COVID-19 cases, is mandating masks for big outdoor events

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09...ial-recognition-app-divides-opinion/100446812
But the critics are not confined to the US, nor to the conservative end of the political spectrum.

University of New South Wales AI researcher Toby Walsh, who has written about the trial, said he found himself "in an interesting predicament".

"I'm rarely in agreement with organisations like Fox News and Breitbart, but with this home quarantine app, and the claims that this is Orwellian as it gets, I do find myself tending to agree," he said.
"There's a broader issue here, which is the growing surveillance by government and by business of us, and whether this will legitimise using facial recognition software in wider settings, and I think it's the thin end of a very dangerous wedge."

Professor Walsh said a similar system in WA was even more "draconian".

"In South Australia, the app gives you 15 minutes to get a response, to get your face recognised," he said.

"In Western Australia, it's going to be a pretty fast scramble — if you're on the toilet or doing something else, you've got just five minutes before you're in trouble."
Ms O'Connor said a crucial difference between the measure as it stands and something more authoritarian, indeed "Orwellian", was freedom of choice.

No-one is being coerced into participating, she said.

"It's voluntary, it's completely voluntary," she said.
"You only go into quarantine if you choose to come back to South Australia."

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/austra...in-30-years-after-prison-escape-blames-covid/
Canberra, Australia — A 64-year-old fugitive walked into a Sydney police station to give himself up almost 30 years after he used a hacksaw blade and bolt cutters to escape from prison, police said on Wednesday. Darko Desic decided to go back to prison because Sydney's COVID-19 lockdown made him jobless and homeless, media reported.

Desic surrendered at Dee Why Police Station at Sydney's fashionable northern beaches on Sunday morning and was denied bail when he appeared in a downtown court on Tuesday charged with escaping from lawful custody in 1992, a police statement said. The charge carries a potential seven-year prison sentence.

Sydney's lockdown, which began in June, had cost Desic his cash-in-hand work as a laborer and handyman, unnamed police sources told Sydney's The Daily Telegraph and Australian Broadcasting Corp.
Looks like he will some company behind bars.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Interesting tidbit from a US article...
" According to the study, Moderna's vaccine was 93% effective at preventing COVID-19 hospitalizations, compared to 88% for the Pfizer vaccine and 71% for Johnson and Johnson's. Researchers assessed data from more than 3,600 hospitalized adults across 21 hospitals in 18 states from March 2021 through the middle of August."

Status
Not open for further replies.