Audio signal to frames

Pragathi

Joined Feb 26, 2015
Hi..I am a beginner in Matlab so can anyone tell me how to convert audio signal into frames ?? And is there any restriction like we have to use mp3 ,speech or music only???

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Why? How would you define an audio "frame"?

Digital audio is sampled at high (above hearing range) frequency. Each sample might be called a frame, analogous to a film frame.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That doesn't answer the question. Why do you want frames, and how are you defining an audio "frame"? Are you synching audio with video frames?

Audio is not normally processed in frames, as video is. In video and film, a frame is a snapshot. Showing many snapshots per second fools the human brain into seeing a continuous picture. Sound doesn't work that way.

I'm assuming this is homework?

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
And is there any restriction like we have to use mp3 ,speech or music only???
One of these things is not like the others.

I'm not certain but I doubt Matlab can use MP3 files, probably have to be WAV or other uncompressed format. The speech/music question seems like it should be given to you as part of your project requirements if it matters.

Pragathi

Joined Feb 26, 2015
One of these things is not like the others.

I'm not certain but I doubt Matlab can use MP3 files, probably have to be WAV or other uncompressed format. The speech/music question seems like it should be given to you as part of your project requirements if it matters.
I am doing a project on audiowatermarking so i first have to convert audio signal to frames and then using an algorithm i have to insert the watermark

planeguy67

Joined Jan 29, 2015
I thought mp3's were constructed in frames. IOW, instead of time-based audio, like a music compact disc, an MP3 frame contains frequency-based data. The frame rate is played back at around 38 FPS for audio resynthesis.

Still black magic to me.