Attaching already uploaded files

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If I have already uploaded a file, and attached it a post; is there an easy way to refer to that uploaded file in a subsequent post? It seems like maybe there should be a drop down that lets you select from the files in your area that have already been uploaded.

In my case I have three identical copies of the same file because I could not easily figure this one out.

Thanks much to the website gurus

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Papabravo,

I don't think there is a way of doing this using the present forum software. The only way to do this without having to keep add attachments to your allocated quota is to link to the original attachment in via a hyperlink. Its not the perfect solution, but will at least prevent you from duplicating files in your attachment allocation.

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by Dave@Apr 27 2006, 12:55 PM
Hi Papabravo,

I don't think there is a way of doing this using the present forum software. The only way to do this without having to keep add attachments to your allocated quota is to link to the original attachment in via a hyperlink. Its not the perfect solution, but will at least prevent you from duplicating files in your attachment allocation.

Dave
[post=16623]Quoted post[/post]​
Dave,

I think there may be another way. If I put the cursor over the attachment and reproduce the attachment id tag it just might work. I'm going to try with one of the relay drivers. I know it is attachmentid 1390
[attachmentid=1390]

Edit: Nope it did not work -- too bad

[attachmentid=1390]

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by Papabravo@Apr 27 2006, 12:30 PM
Dave,

I think there may be another way. If I put the cursor over the attachment and reproduce the attachment id tag it just might work. I'm going to try with one of the relay drivers. I know it is attachmentid 1390
[attachmentid=1390]

Edit: Nope it did not work -- too bad
[post=16624]Quoted post[/post]​
I have seen some posters solve this problem by attaching a link to the earlier posting that held the attachment of interest and add some verbage stating that the attachment could be found within the posting at the supplied link.

I wonder if this constitutes a comfortable work-around until something a bit more elegant comes along?

hgmjr

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by hgmjr@Apr 27 2006, 02:19 PM
I have seen some posters solve this problem by attaching a link to the earlier posting that held the attachment of interest and add some verbage stating that the attachment could be found within the posting at the supplied link.

I wonder if this constitutes a comfortable work-around until something a bit more elegant comes along?

hgmjr
[post=16629]Quoted post[/post]​
It would if there was an easy and convenient way of locating previous posts, but even that can be challenging. I suppose search for some word or handle in the original message is what we are left with.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Try this as a way to quickly locate your old attachments.

Click on "MY CONTROLS", then under "OPTIONS" on the left side of the screen click on "MANAGE MY ATTACHMENTS".

This will bring up a list of all of your existing attachments. You will see that each attachment is associated with the posting in which it originally appeared. You can click on the post title and it will take you to the actual posting. From there it should be straightforward to copy the link and drop it into your new posting as a reference.

Hope I haven't confused rather than clarify.

hgmjr

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by hgmjr@Apr 27 2006, 10:55 PM
Try this as a way to quickly locate your old attachments.

Click on "MY CONTROLS", then under "OPTIONS" on the left side of the screen click on "MANAGE MY ATTACHMENTS".

This will bring up a list of all of your existing attachments.  You will see that each attachment is associated with the posting in which it originally appeared.  You can click on the post title and it will take you to the actual posting.  From there it should be straightforward to copy the link and drop it into your new posting as a reference.

Hope I haven't confused rather than clarify.

hgmjr
[post=16637]Quoted post[/post]​
This might actually work.

I will upload the following arbitrary attachment:

[attachmentid=1402]

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Btw, the manage attachments only seems to allow a user to delete existing attachments. So the above suggestion by hgmjr doesn't work.

Still I will try the following:

[attachmentid=1402]

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, so we have a winner. You can use an existing attachment using the [attachmentid=???] command. The above two posts show you one attachment in my attachment allocation posted in two posts. It may still be worth trying this in another thread to ensure there is not a problem in using an attachment across several threads.

Anyway enough of my spamming this thread!

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by Dave@Apr 28 2006, 10:31 AM
Ok, so we have a winner. You can use an existing attachment using the [attachmentid=???] command. The above two posts show you one attachment in my attachment allocation posted in two posts. It may still be worth trying this in another thread to ensure there is not a problem in using an attachment across several threads.

Anyway enough of my spamming this thread!

Dave
[post=16657]Quoted post[/post]​
OK I'll try it.

The following diagram may be helpful
[attachmentid=1390]

Doesn't work it just copies the text from the original post

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/index.ph...pe=post&id=1390

OK, what you have to do is right click on the file name and then click on "Copy shortcut", then paste it into the message with a Control-V

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'll try again:

[attachmentid=1402]

Edit: For some reason as long as I copy the attachment ID it appends the image to my post. I will try it in a new thread.

Dave