atomic theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasanadj

Joined Apr 23, 2006
i know thw basic atomic theory, but i want how the electrons rotate around protons&newtrons. why the negative charge electron attach to the nucles any suggestions please give me ......

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by vasanadj@Apr 23 2006, 03:31 PM
i know thw basic atomic theory, but i want how the electrons rotate around protons&newtrons. why the negative charge electron attach to the nucles any suggestions please give me ......
[post=16454]Quoted post[/post]​
They do not rotate around the nucleus in any traditional sense. The analogy to planets rotating around the sun is just not very accurate. Electrons in atoms have motions which are characterized by a set of quantum numbers. These quantum numbers say things about their probable location, their energy level, and their momentum.

A result due to Wolfgang Pauli says that no two electrons may have the same set of quantum numbers. Another result due to Werner Heisenberg says that it is impossible to determine both the position and the momentum of a particle with arbitrary precision. Imagine yourself to be a big game hunter stalking the elusive Quantum Mechanical Tiger. If you know where he is and shoot he will be gone by the time the bullet reaches his position. If you know how fast he is moving so you can lead him, you don't know where he is because he is everywhere.

An early theoretical result on electrons and nuleii is that they emit photons of visible light when they give up energy and drop to lower quantum states. Conversely they can absorb energy and jump to higher quantum states. These jumps and energy levels are discrete and quantized, not continuous.

Quantum mechanics is weird and hard. Keep asking interesting questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.