Atmel 89xxx Programmer troubles...

doggiedoc

Joined Dec 16, 2004
Hi all -
A couple of years or so ago I built this kit (K123 v1.1) that I purchased from a local electronics shop. At the time I didn't have a Windows OS based PC to communicate with the programmer so I put it in a drawer until a couple of weeks ago. Now that I have a machine that will run Windows OS too, I have been trying to program some AT89c52 and AT89c4051 µC units that I purchased back then too.

I am having troubles in several areas and have now gotten frustrated and am not sure where the "root" of the problem may be. I'll try to explain: I am compiling assembly with M-IDE Studio for MCS-51 to create the hex file. I think that is going ok. I am then uploading the file with hyperterminal (because the recommended term.exe won't run under XP) which seems to work on a fresh chip. If I try to program a chip again - it appears to erase ok, but "Blank Check" fails.

I have not been successful in setting up a circuit to test the program either. I don't know if I am setting the circuit up wrong, or if the program isn't burned to the chip or if the hex file compile failed or what.

I have searched diligently but I am unable to figure this one out. This is not a homework project or anything like that so no flames please. I do this to learn for "fun" LOL.

The following is the code example I am trying to use:
Rich (BB code):
org 000h
start: mov P0,#11110000b; Turn on LED on P0.0 - P0.3
       call delay       ; call delay time
       mov P0,#00001111b; Turn on LED on P3.4 - P0.7
       call delay; call delay time
       sjmp start; loooooop forever to start
;=============================================
;subroutine delay created to rise delay time
;=============================================
delay: mov R1,#255
del1:  mov R2,#255
del2:  djnz R2,del2
       djnz R1,del1
       ret
end

Attached are images of the breadboard and the programmer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Doc
:confused:

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In my oppinion the leads to the crystal are to long.
Keep the lines to the crystal as short as possible.
Try to place the cryatsl near the processor.

Greetings,
Bertus

doggiedoc

Joined Dec 16, 2004
Thanks for the tips there Bertus. Unfortunately it didn't help. :(

I found a pre-made programmer at Sunrom.com - I think I'll just order that. It comes with software for windows too. :)