ATMega 328 Bootloader

kohlrak

Joined Apr 7, 2010
I"m looking for a bare minimal bootloader in assembly for this chip with not much luck. Assuming the simplest possible setup (nothing fancier than regulated power, as i'm using internal clock and all), what would the simplest bootloader be that can "blink" one of the digital pins? My objective here is to build a bootloader from scratch in assembly, but I need a simple "hello world" to work with. Once provided with a "hello world" example (a blinker), I can proceed to read the manuals.

I've done a small OS Kernel in x86 assembly before, so this atmega seems like it would be a piece of cake, once i have an entry point into atmega development. Thanks in advance to those who can help.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A bootloader does not "blink" nor prints "hello world".
The purpose of the bootloader is to program the flash memory of your ATmega328.
The bootloader is already in the ATmega328. You access it using the SPI interface, that is, MISO, MOSI and SCK pins.

kohlrak

Joined Apr 7, 2010
A bootloader does not "blink" nor prints "hello world".
The purpose of the bootloader is to program the flash memory of your ATmega328.
The bootloader is already in the ATmega328. You access it using the SPI interface, that is, MISO, MOSI and SCK pins.
I'm aware of this. However, to learn everything about the chip, I need to write my own bootloader, but i don't know where to start. On other machines, bootloaders often do alot more than simply flash memory. For example, grub on x86 sets up certain drivers (VESA graphics, PMODE, etc).

EDIT: problem solved, bad terminology. A bootloader is a program that loads a program from ROM to RAM and sometimes provide other functions like drivers and so forth. The ATmega "bootloaders," however don't do anything of the sort. What is interesting is that both programs have interrupt vector tables.

Last edited: