Atmega 16A bootloader

iaf

Joined Apr 11, 2019
Hi Guys wish you are having happy holidays,
I’m trying to run an Arduino code on an Atmega16A and I needed the bootloader for it. I found on Instructables a detailed description of doing that but it doesn’t work and always shows an error while burning the bootloader. I have to mention that my knowledge about programming is really very few and I barely understand what’s done in the bootloader. So could anyone help me understand how I could do it by myself and make it work?
https://www.instructables.com/Programming-ATmega16A-using-arduino-IDE/ 3

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
It is difficult for us to help diagnose your problem if the only information you give us is "it doesn't work". What error message do you get?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Plus, how are you trying to load the boot loader? Can you provide a link to the Instructable you are using?
You must have missed his link. It looks like a USBasp programmer in the picture and he's using the arduino IDE.
The document is very brief and assumes you have experience with setting up bootloaders.
I have never been able to get my USBasp programmer to work so I will be interested in the answers to this.
I made my own USB programmer using an Arduino micro, which works very well.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’ve seen those Arduino-based programmers. I asked because I did not see the Atmega 16 as supported for loading with the Arduino IDE.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Here is the official reference for using the Arduino reference for loading the bootloader.

You have to specify the destination processor/board. Here is the list of supported processors.

The Atmega 16 is not listed. Hence, I surmise that another utility must be used to program the Atmega 16. Typically, one inserts the chip into an Arduino or clone to program and then remove it for installation into your system.

It’s not clear how much of this the TS is doing. That’s why I asked my questions.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The ATMege16 is not supported directly by the Arduino IDE but the article in the link shows how to find and modify the software for different ATMega chips. I use ATMega 328 so I just download the Uno bootloader to the chips.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The ATMege16 is not supported directly by the Arduino IDE but the article in the link shows how to find and modify the software for different ATMega chips. I use ATMega 328 so I just download the Uno bootloader to the chips.
I admit to being nationalistic and was out off by the bad English. I read the article, but did not put any effort into translating what he said into understandable English. I couldn’t follow this article without a lot of effort!

But you’re correct. Hopefully, this could work. Sorry for any confusion I may have added.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Then I'm sorry but I can't help you with this one. I have no idea what that error message means. Maybe there is someone who is more familiar with it.
Good luck!

iaf

Joined Apr 11, 2019
what i found that i have to set the bootloader.tool in the boards.text to avrdude, however i'm getting the following error
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 0
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
what i found that i have to set the bootloader.tool in the boards.text to avrdude, however i'm getting the following error
I hate asking questions like this when the TS doesn’t initially supply an answer. Have you updated the USB drivers since?