Atari 800 repair / RF video out issues

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Against my better judgment, I dragged my old Atari 800 out of storage. Way too many other projects to work on and at least one I need to finish but I got the yen.

Currently I have the RF connection to my TV jury rigged but it does not seem to work. Have a proper connector on order. But I was wondering if there is a way to confirm RF out is working with my scope. The only thing I am seeing is what looks like noise down in the mv range. Been centuries since I worked in TV. Should I be able to see TV RF on the scope?

I do see composite video out. View attachment 174453

Plus the computer makes power up noises and keyboard clacks from the internal speaker so I am pretty sure the CPU is working.

I would like a backup plan of using video. What I am not sure of is how to hook up the video output to a modern TV. It was easy back in the back in the day when all I had was a B/W monitor that I hooked up. Along with TV theroy being fresher in my mind.

So how would I hook this thing up? Here is the Atari connector which is a 5 pin DIN.

Something like this:

Code:
3        1
 5     4
1. Composite Luminance
2. Ground
3. Audio Output
4. Composite Video
5. Composite Chroma (not on 800XL,1200XL; grounded on 600XL)

I have video, Y, Pb, Yr connectors on the back of my TV. Is it possible to hook this thig up?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The carrier is at 61.25 MHz, so you should see something at that frequency.

Yes, that waveform looks like composite video, like this one:

SDS00004.png

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Are you sure that the TV can work with analogue video ? Some modern TVs may only work with digital video. Do you know the carrier frequency ;from the RF modulator in the Atari and have you tuned the TV to that frequency ?. (I have not yet seen a modern TV that can't be set to analogue video mode as well as digital video mode.) If you are seeing the display in post #5 on your scope it is not modulated onto an RF carrier. If it is as in post #5 then you will need to feed it into a composite video input (NOT the RF antenna input.) This will be either on a phono (RCA) socket or the video in pin (20) of a scart socket. The video ground will be on pin 17 of the scart socket.

Les.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Are you sure that the TV can work with analogue video ? Some modern TVs may only work with digital video. Do you know the carrier frequency ;from the RF modulator in the Atari and have you tuned the TV to that frequency ?. (I have not yet seen a modern TV that can't be set to analogue video mode as well as digital video mode.) If you are seeing the display in post #5 on your scope it is not modulated onto an RF carrier. If it is as in post #5 then you will need to feed it into a composite video input (NOT the RF antenna input.) This will be either on a phono (RCA) socket or the video in pin (20) of a scart socket. The video ground will be on pin 17 of the scart socket.

Les.

Post #5 is composite video. I have both available.