Asus A6000 with Rosa 17.3 extreme slow and hangs

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hi,
I did found my old A6000 back and installed Linux Rosa 17.3 however extreme slow in compare to win32 and it will hang using Firefox browser.
1 GB memory.
I did try an other version lunbutu same problem.
Does anybody has experience in Linux on old laptops and a solution for this problem?
I hate to swing things in the bin.

Picbuster

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Why not try linux lite os?
https://www.linuxliteos.com/

REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM RECOMMENDED SPECIFICATIONS:
CPU:
700MHz processor
RAM: 512mb ram
RESOLUTION: VGA screen 1024x768 resolution
MEDIA: DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image

PREFERRED SPECIFICATIONS:
CPU:
1.5GHz processor
RAM: 1024mb ram
RESOLUTION: VGA, DVI or HDMI screen 1366x768
MEDIA: DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image

Bertus

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I remember days when Linux people were so proud that their OS could run on 16 MB of RAM.
Now Ubuntu REQUIRES 2 GB of RAM. And yes, I know that I can run Xubuntu instead or use Xfce desktop instead, that way it does not need as much ram.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I remember days when Linux people were so proud that their OS could run on 16 MB of RAM.
Now Ubuntu REQUIRES 2 GB of RAM. And yes, I know that I can run Xubuntu instead or use Xfce desktop instead, that way it does not need as much ram.
You can still run Puppy with almost nothing.

Highly functional GUIs require RAM to be responsive. Just a fact of life.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Great,
thanks you for the response.
Will try next week and keep you informed.

Picbuster
If you can, get some really cheap ram from ebay or whatever and max out the ram, it seems max is 2 GB, which is normal for that time period.

I believe they still used pata drives then. If you luck out, you can get some cheap pata ssd, something like 32 GB for 40 USD or so. What it really is, it is miniPCI-e card with ram chips and sata controller attached to another card that has pata to sata translator chip.

I am not saying you should put money into ssd, but if you want some fun and have extra money, you might. These are the easy upgrades. The next step up, and pain in the a$$, is to replace the stupid sempron with dual core turion.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
I was not able to install puppy ( system fail to accept) but mint 18 did the job slow. carries 500Mb only.
Linux lite might bring some light as well (later this week.)
kyi
Picbuster