Are Apple Trees Dangerous?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Responded to a post this morning in Math about propagating apple trees from seeds. Turns out, that was an interest of mine a few years ago. I wanted to plant some near a pond in my yard, but after looking into how apples are really cultivated, I decided they were beyond my horticultural skills and available time.

I shared my "wisdom" with the TS, but that thread was not simply moved to Off Topic; it seems to have been deleted. The TS was a first-time poster. Was some AAC rule violated?

Apples are really interesting. Their genome, like most plants, is quite large and is about twice the size of ours. Personally, I find it interesting that their cultivar seeds do not propagate faithfully, not unlike humans.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I shared my "wisdom" with the TS, but that thread was not simply moved to Off Topic; it seems to have been deleted. The TS was a first-time poster. Was some AAC rule violated?
I can only speculate, but having seen the original post I'd guess that it was a former member, banned, who has since attempted dozens of times to re-join under different usernames-- always posting the same sort of off-the-wall stuff, and always banned anew and/or having his threads locked or deleted.

It sure sounded a lot like him, anyway.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I can only speculate, but having seen the original post I'd guess that it was a former member, banned, who has since attempted dozens of times to re-join under different usernames-- always posting the same sort of off-the-wall stuff, and always banned anew and/or having his threads locked or deleted.

It sure sounded a lot like him, anyway.
Thinking back to the text, I think you hit the nail on the head. My sensor must have been dulled by answering some question about a tantalum capacitor compounded by my interest in apple trees. For what it's worth, I would also like to grow figs, but have failed 3 times so far.

John

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi John,
IIRC fig trees require a very small 'kamakaze' wasp to ensure fertilisation of a ripe fig, for future generations.?

E

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
hi John,
IIRC fig trees require a very small 'kamakaze' wasp to ensure fertilisation of a ripe fig, for future generations.?

E
Yes, there is a wasp in the Mediterranean area that goes in the base of the immature fig. The fig is like an inside out flower. However, my brother in Palm Springs (desert), California has no trouble growing them. I don't believe fertilization is required.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi John
A short apple anecdote.
Whenever a new great grand child was born I planted a small shrub in my garden.
Many years ago for a new great grandson, I planted a small standard apple tree.
After a few years of growth, the tree in Autumn was full of very nice eating apples.
So I proudly took my great grandson to his tree, plucked the best looking apple and gave it to him, he took a bite then spat it out stating he didn't like apples.!

Go figure.!

Eric

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Do you know why apples and oranges are different? Have you ever grown stuff? Let's say you grow oranges or corn. You plant the crop.....let it mature......then take the very best........and save for seed for next crop.

One can not do that with apples. One never knows how the fruit of an apple will turn out. The seeds from the best looking apple........means nothing. Too find out if an apple tree will have good apples..........you have to let it mature and taste. Most apples don't taste very good. Of the thousands of apple trees planted by johnny appleseed..........most turned out to be crab apples. Crab apples are apples that taste bad. The best looking apple can produce nasty crabs.

The dangerous thing of apples is........your orchard turns out crab. Crab apples were used for hard cider. Apples made most of the booze in colonial times.