Arduino Uno REV 3 or Mega 2560 REV 3

c0d3Man

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Which board do you guys think is better? The Arduino Uno? or the Mega 2560? I plan on buying an Arduino soon and I want to get opinions on which one people think is better.(one thing I plan on using it for is building my own robot[nothing professional obviously] among other things)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The choice depends on what you are planning to do with Arduino. If you have no specific end design project in mind then I would also recommend you go with the mega2560. My justification for this recommendation is the mega2560 has more of everything. More memory, more I/O. The nice thing about the Arduino Uno and the Arduino mega2560 is that shield boards for the Uno can be fitted onto mega2560 boards. There are also larger prototype shield boards for the mega2560 in case you have a unique circuit you wish to implement.

hgmjr

c0d3Man

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Ya that's what I was thinking, but I read somewhere online that the Mega2560 had issues with some shields or something to that effect, but I don't have a specific end design and the more I think about it I'm afraid if I get the Uno, I'll want to build something and I'll run out of I/O pin slots. If I can get the extra 19 I need then I think I'll get the Mega2560. Thanks for the input guys. :)

Edit: when I say issues with some shields I mean compatibility issues with shields for the Uno.

Last edited:

c0d3Man

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Also, has any one purchased from Mouser.com before? their listed as an official reseller for Arduino, and they also seem to have the cheapest prices, if nothing good to say, then does anyone know where I can purchase an Arduino Mega 2560 for cheap?

c0d3Man

Joined Nov 8, 2011
Awesome, I hows the shipping costs? I kept reading reviews that didn't really make a whole lot of sense, a lot talked poorly of some "hidden fees" and overly expensive shipping costs.

c0d3Man

Joined Nov 8, 2011
I would PM you, but the site's telling me I'm not allowed. I think its cause Im still a pretty new member.

note: I'm only 16 and I'm not to great with electronics (I'm a bit better with programming but the most I've programmed is a few windows programs), I've been trying to learn more to the point where I can design my own circuits (which I can to a certain degree), I've been trying to learn C++ and for the most part I have it down, but unfortunately I'm missing pieces here and there, but the project does seam interesting