Arduino Uno problem

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Hi

I would like to know how can I know if my Arduino UNO ATmega328 is working properly because I can't upload a code on it?
When I plug it on a computer I see the light of the ON led and the L led always ON, and If I press the reset button nothing happens, all the leds stay the same. I would like to know if that means that my Arduino has a problem ?

Thank you

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Some Arduinos are supplied with simple program loaded that blinks one of the LEDs so either your's does not have any code loaded or it is faulty. What happens when you try to upload a program (Called a sketch in the Arduino world.) ?

Les.

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Some Arduinos are supplied with simple program loaded that blinks one of the LEDs so either your's does not have any code loaded or it is faulty. What happens when you try to upload a program (Called a sketch in the Arduino world.) ?

Les.
I bought the device yesterday and it was first working. Now with the same code and same circuit it doesn't work anymore. It's the code to blink a led every few seconds. DO you know why? Does it mean that the circuit is burned or something else?

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Do you get an error message while programming it, or does it say it completed successfully?
it says that there is an error programming the card (problem.jpg) and that I have to visit the website www. arduino.cc/en/guide/troubleshooting#upload. for suggestions

stk500_recv() programmer is not responding
stk500_getsync() programmer attemp 1 of 10: not in sync; resp = 0x02
stk500_recv() programmer is not responding
stk500_getsync() programmer attemp 2 0f 10: not in sync; resp = 0x02
etc...

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You would not normaly use avrdude to program a ATmega328 when it is used in an Arduino board. Have you tried it using the Arduino IDE ?

Les.

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
You would not normaly use avrdude to program a ATmega328 when it is used in an Arduino board. Have you tried it using the Arduino IDE ?

Les.

I am actually using Arduino IDE and have this error inside. Nothing changes when I press reset button or I hold it. L led and ON led stay "ON" and never blink, Does it mean that I fried my Arduino UNO ?

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Do you have real Uno or do you have Chinese copy?

I guess it is possible that you overwrote the bootloader. I am not sure how you would do it... but anything is possible.

Snowfish

Joined May 11, 2017
Do you have real Uno or do you have Chinese copy?

I guess it is possible that you overwrote the bootloader. I am not sure how you would do it... but anything is possible.
My arduino is red and not blue and I see CH340 and not arduino in the device manager. I think that it's chinese copy because I didn't buy it from a store. How can we correct the bootloader?

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
I doubt you overwrote the boot loader - it takes more than just uploading simple programs to do that. Since it was working originally, you clearly have the correct USB driver.

I've had similar problems (board upload worked and then didn't) and it usually was Windows (Win10 64bit in my case) getting confused. Try unplugging the arduino, exit the arduino IDE, count to 1 million (or ten, or two), plug it back in and restart the IDE. Sometimes just moving to a different USB port fixes it.

One other trick that sometimes works is to hold down the reset button on the Arduino, hit the upload button in the IDE and when it finishes compiling (just as the uploading message appears) release the reset button.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
This link may be of some help. Unfortunately since your PC seems to recognize the board the first and easy part of the link I doubt will fix it. The second part requires a genuine Arduino Uno board in addition to the Chinese knock off.

Ron
Actually, Uno knockoffs can be used as programmers. Basically, you just need a working Arduino to be the programmer. You can even use a Nano - talk about a cheap programmer!

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It is possible to verify the the USB to serial part of the board is working (In your case the CH340)
Unplug the ATmega328 from the UNO board. Link the Rx and TX connections on the connector together. (With the USB and power connectors at the bottom of the board the RX and TX connections are the top two on the left hand side of the board.) Connect the UNO back to your computer and start the Arduino IDE. From the "tools" option select "serial monitor" In the box to the left of the "Send" button type some text. If you then click on the "Send" button (Or press the enter key.) you should see the TX and RX LEDs flash and the text should then be seen in the receive window. If that works correctly then the ATmega328 is faulty or it's boot loader is corrupt.
Edit. You can re program the ATmega328 using another Arduino (Running a sketch that makes it behave as a programmer.) or you can get a cheap programmer such as this one which you would use with "avrdude" programming software running on your PC.

Les.

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
It is possible to verify the the USB to serial part of the board is working (In your case the CH340)
Unplug the ATmega328 from the UNO board.
Les.
Um... that is not going to work.
For example. My Chinese copy is one of those tiny postage stamp chips that are surface soldered to the board. There is no way to remove it.
To do what you propose simply requires to:

"Isolating the processor from the IO-pins
There is one more simple connection you need to make. Connect the RESET pin on the Arduino, to the GND pin on the Arduino. On some of the smaller Arduino’s, like Arduino Nano, the RESET pin is labeled RST. What this does is isolates the Atmega328p CPU from the IO-pins. Another solution is actually physically removing the Atmega328p processor from the socket on the Uno, but because a lot of Arduino models doesn’t have that capability, the isolation way is the best practice."
http://www.princetronics.com/arduino-uno-as-usb-to-serial-ttl-converter/