Arduino or Raspberry Pi for Dummies

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It was a very strange language to learn at it's inception especially with no decent tutorials. At that point they wanted you to take courses.
interestingly, the original LEGO robot brick used a LABView based IDE to program because it was so easy, even a child could do it without lessons.

It fell into the category of a "paradigm shift". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm_shift

"Race conditions" might be hard for someone to understand if you didn't have training in Digital Design.
"Parallel programming" is a piece of cake.
"exceptions" is actually easy after NI developed the infrastructure.
"re-useable code" was difficult to make
"plotting" was really bad initially. You can't just move the pen. If you want "real-time", you have to draw a 1 point graph followed by a 2-point graph, followed by a 3-point graph etc.

NI was also trying to make it Mac, PC, and Linux compatable.

I think knowing assembly language helped.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Plotting had multiple option You could also draw your plot with the right number of data points with all zero values, change the values and redraw chart every new or every nth new datapoint.

Cabezonbd

Joined Apr 18, 2021
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have played around with the Arduino Uno. I am able to do a few things but realize that I need to push myself to lean in depth. I think the Arduino is a very fun unit and plan to continue pushing my learning curve.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The Simon Monk starter book will help you with the basics but you will find out that the Arduino has been integrated into the control of a LOT of different types of projects. Once you are familiar with the basics check out the Howard Sams book Arduino Programming in 24 Hours which is 24 one hour long sessions that goes into more depth than any other book I've used. Not for beginners! Lot's of really great information that most books lack!

Arduino Programming in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself | Blum, Richard | download (1lib.us)