Arduino motor control (TIP120)

Chong Heng Loong

Joined Mar 2, 2017
So I have been trying to get my motor to work for more than half a year now, I'm no electronics expert and I have been learning electronics from internet resources as a hobby. Right now I think I have reached a point where I need to ask for help.

I have tried using a L293D H-bridge and a TIP120 transistor but none of it worked. Since the L293D is just an array of 4 transistors so I thought it might be easier to get things working if I just use a single transistor.

I'm using this motor which I think the specs are;
Voltage: 3-6V
Stall Current: 1.7A

So I have a few questions and problem:
1. Do I put the transistor at the red wire or the black wire side of the motor? What are the pros and cons?
2. How do I read the amplification(I think aka DC current gain/Hfe) of the TIP120? In the table it says 1000, in figure 2 it says 250 and in figure 1 it says it varies with collector current(Ic), which one is the right one? (I have even seen some saying it's 2000, like whatt??)
3. Should I use a slightly lower base resistor value than the actual value calculated in order to give more amperage margin to the motor? Or is it a bad idea?

I'm currently using a 9V battery for power, I think that might also be a problem since I heard 9V batteries can only supply 500mA. I'll be changing to LiPO batteries once I find a cheap battery and charger.

Chong Heng Loong

Joined Mar 2, 2017
You sure won't get 1.7A out of a PP3 battery. That problem needs fixing first.
That's just the stall current, no load current is around 0.4A and even with no load the motor won't turn

Show us your circuit diagram, you need a better battery power supply like a Sla or lithium-ion, have you got the datasheet for the L293d to show you how to use it?

http://www.rakeshmondal.info/L293D-Motor-Driver
Diagram for the transistor or the L293D? Any website I can use to draw the diagram?