Arduino ---> AC Servo Motor

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Hi

I would like to know if it is possible to control an AC Servo Motor with Arduino? The reason is that I have no experience of PLCs.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do you have a controller for the servo motor that can be driven by 5V at 20mA? If you don’t know what that means, then you have some work to do.

If you understand, then maybe you can build your own controller. Again, if you have no idea how to do that, you have a bit of work to do.

What is the voltage and current requirements of the servo motor? How is it normally controlled?

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
It would be above 400W 220VAC single phase motor, of course with drive.
I haven't bought one yet because I am not sure if I can run it with Arduino.

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Actually, I want to replicate a simple strip feeding unit which is controlled by a PLC. The motor used is TC57-40-01 but I want to use a little bigger motor something like this.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That link is undoubtedly a 3ph motor, you need a sophisticated controller or make one, which is no mean feat.
I don't understand why they name it a 1ph?
Max.

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Even if it is 3-phase motor, no issue. And it is understood that it requires a drive.

Assuming that I have obtained such motor and a drive something like Inovance ISP500, can such servo motor/drive be controlled using Arduino?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
As abuhafee said, you will need a controller/drive between the Arduino and the motor. These are not simple DIY things. Google "AC servo drive".
Look for the spec sheets or manuals. They will tell you what kind of input is required to control the servo control.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
From a short search, the motor specs do not seem to be anywhere to be found, it may need a email to the manuf. support line.
Max.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
And you will have to deal with cables with compatable connectors between the controller/drive and the motor. Also between the controller and the Arduino. You also may need to make a circuit to interface between the Arduino and the controller if the outputs from the Arduino is not directly compatible with the controller's input.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also if running this motor as true servo, (not open loop), you need to know the nature of the commutation sensing method, also the type of position encoder and its format and resolution etc.
Max.

mcardoso

Joined May 19, 2020
Let's assume for a minute that you have purchased a compatible pair of AC servo motor, drive, and cables. Let's also assume you were able to work with your Chinese supplier to get the configuration software to set the drive up for your preferred method of operation (indexing for example), then yes, it can be controlled with an arduino using the digital inputs on the drive.

I supported servo motors at my day job for years. They are complicated and until you have selected the drive, we can't give you a definitive answer on if it will work. Be careful with buying systems from China. All AC servos require configuration and I have personally seen too many people get screwed because the drive comes with no documentation, software, or support.

Low cost servo options that don't come from China are: DMM Technology, Clearpath, Used Allen Bradley Ultra 3000, etc.