apple talk

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i have an old imac g3 i want to ntetwork and use remote programs on it. i beleve i need appletalk for this. i have only seen downloads for it via cnet. if i can i would lik to use the apple site but have found nothing. cnet seems to have alot of hoops to jump through to be able to download anything. any sugestions for other sites to try. or a spot on the aple site it is found. i went throght the aple site quite a bit and found nothing.

codehead

Joined Nov 28, 2011
i have an old imac g3 i want to ntetwork and use remote programs on it. i beleve i need appletalk for this. i have only seen downloads for it via cnet. if i can i would lik to use the apple site but have found nothing. cnet seems to have alot of hoops to jump through to be able to download anything. any sugestions for other sites to try. or a spot on the aple site it is found. i went throght the aple site quite a bit and found nothing.
Doesn't it have an Ethernet port? Any reason you need to use Appletalk protocol?

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
it has an eathernet port from what i have heared apples need apple talk on eveything thay may comunicat with like windows i have since heared they cahnged to tcp but my system may be have been from before they did this.

codehead

Joined Nov 28, 2011
it has an eathernet port from what i have heared apples need apple talk on eveything thay may comunicat with like windows i have since heared they cahnged to tcp but my system may be have been from before they did this.
If it has an ethernet port, you don't need appletalk unless you're talking to a device that requires it (one that doesn't have ethernet). For instance, my old Laserwriter IINTX required it. So, you won't need to use appletalk to network unless you are trying to talk to an ancient Mac that only has the serial port.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
ok thanks. just heve some friends that work with computers also saying it was needed. i looked it up because i sort of beleved it but found nothing (or i couldn't understant it because i'm new to working with apples.