APC Symmetra 80KVA with overload failure 999%

Arthurito

Joined Jan 10, 2021
Hello community, I greet you and ask for your help with the following problem that I have, I was performing maintenance on an 80 KVA Symmetra UPS and the machine after removing a power module and reinserting it began with overload alerts, how rare is that it sent 999% load, remove all the power modules and all the load at the output and continue with that error the machine does not let me put it online, change the current sensors at the output, the communication module, the module of bypass, the control modules and it continues with the failure, I think it must be a wiring issue because the machine is manufactured in 2008, however I would like to know if you have ever had a similar failure or any clue to solve.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello community, I greet you and ask for your help with the following problem that I have, I was performing maintenance on an 80 KVA Symmetra UPS and the machine after removing a power module and reinserting it began with overload alerts, how rare is that it sent 999% load, remove all the power modules and all the load at the output and continue with that error the machine does not let me put it online, change the current sensors at the output, the communication module, the module of bypass, the control modules and it continues with the failure, I think it must be a wiring issue because the machine is manufactured in 2008, however I would like to know if you have ever had a similar failure or any clue to solve.
I've used a similar unit in a data center.
Looks to me like the control module and/or communication module is bad.

Ensure that Utility power is OK, usually with the power company. Make sure no one is changing things in the buildings electrical service. Verify that utility power service to the unit is good. After that, you can try placing the unit into "bypass" which will feed utility voltage directly to the load. It basically bypasses the UPS.

Arthurito

Joined Jan 10, 2021
I've used a similar unit in a data center.
Looks to me like the control module and/or communication module is bad.

Ensure that Utility power is OK, usually with the power company. Make sure no one is changing things in the buildings electrical service. Verify that utility power service to the unit is good. After that, you can try placing the unit into "bypass" which will feed utility voltage directly to the load. It basically bypasses the UPS.
Thanks for the suggestion, in this case have done that, I have been working with UPS´s for 10 years, but I have never seen a failure like this, the UPS have a forced bypass switch, but when I put it overload appears, this friday I am going to disarm the UPS to test some parts, if somebody have electrical diagrams of this UPS it will be wonderful.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion, in this case have done that, I have been working with UPS´s for 10 years, but I have never seen a failure like this, the UPS have a forced bypass switch, but when I put it overload appears, this friday I am going to disarm the UPS to test some parts, if somebody have electrical diagrams of this UPS it will be wonderful.
Have you tried removing the batteries after placing in bypass? Bad batteries can cause some peculiar status messages.