Anyone used PCBconverter in kicad?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What type of files does it produce?
Standard G.M code or there is also a format that is used by board makers, the local one to me requires it in the latter, (can't remember the Type).
But they had a close resemblance to each other. Basically just a series of drill hole positions.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
What type of files does it produce?
Standard G.M code or there is also a format that is used by board makers, the local one to me requires it in the latter, (can't remember the Type).
But they had a close resemblance to each other. Basically just a series of drill hole positions.
I don't know. I don't know whether it can handle double sided boards.
Presently I use eagle and PCBgcode to generate gcode files. I have written a VB6 program which takes these gcode files and combines them into one file and adds auto-levelling probing.
I like kicad which is fine if I want to get professionally made boards but the time and expense of this is not desirable. I would like to find a way of getting from kicad to my CNC.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Further info from the link would indicate is routes traces as well as the drill holes for e.g. so I would imagine it converts to CNC G,M code for full mill/drill operation etc?
For double sided boards, you would need an accurate table reference when flipping the board over.
Max,

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
My VB software adds two 3mm holes through the board and into the sacrificial piece. Then I put two 3mm steel dowels in those holes and flip the board, locating it on those dowels.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Update: It seems that FlatCam (free) can import gerber files and generate isolation milling to gcode files and also add location holes for flipping a double sided board.
So I need to verify that the gcode files are compatible with LinuxCNC (or can be converted with a VB program), then I can start the learning curve for this new tool chain.

Incidentally, I have just had two boards made by NextPCB because they were bigger than I could mill myself. There is a problem when assembling them. The solder resist coating is very slippery so I pop some SMD part out of the strip carrier onto the board and it promptly slides off the board and vanishes! Maybe I could make the CNC mill into a 'manual' pick and place machine, with vacuum pickup and camera?