Anyone have any experience with DS1305 RTC?

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I have made a little data logger with an atmega328 and a DS1305 Real Time Clock. The RTC is controlled by SPI and so uses the same pins as the programmer. I have been having all kinds of trouble programming the atmega and have come to the conclusion that the DS1305 sometimes gets into a condition where it is holding on to the SPI lines and so programming fails with weird errors (such as incorrect device signature).

I know this is a long-shot but I was just wondering if anyone has experience of the DS3105 and knew a reliable sequence for enabling, setting/reading the time and disabling. Do I need a pull-up on the SS?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've tested an rtc. I think it was the 1305, and I used an Atmega 2560, and a 16x02 lcd.

I made a supersimple circuit. First I programmed the Atmega to set the date time in the rtc, then I programmed the Atmega to read tve rtc, and display the time.

I used 4K7 pull-up resistors on the commu ication lines.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Thanks nerdegutta, there seems to be some conflicting advice about pull-ups on SPI, some say they are not needed and others use them, I'll try a pull-up on the Slave Select and see how it goes.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I just checked the RTC I used. It was a DS1307 - Sorry.

But I'll guess the circuit is equal.

Once I used a 24LC16b EEPROM with a PICAXE, and it needed the resistors.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
The DS1307 is pretty similar I think, it doesn't have the "Alarm" outputs whereas the 1305 does, I guess the internal SPI circuitry is the same for both. Thanks for taking the time