Anybody willing to help with a project please? -sequential logic problem

Razzle308

Joined Mar 17, 2016
Hi all.

I am putting some pressure pads into the path for my entrance way at home.
I have 10 pads and 4 correct ones. I want that one has to step on the correct ones in the correct order to actuate something.

I can build the circuit with my crude electronics knowledge out of relays but this doesn't give me the full functionality I want.

If anyone was willing to help me build a digital version it would be great. It is a little out of my lonesome depth.

Here is a flow chart of what i am trying to achieve.
Switches flow chart.JPG

Thanks in advance.
regards Darren.

Hi Darren, I can maybe help you with a microprocessor, I can write the code for U, this sort of thing does look like processor country, I use Atmel pieces, they cost about ZAR 40.00, I can also design the electronics if you like.

Regards

David

Razzle308

Joined Mar 17, 2016
Thanks so much:)
Well i was gonna mention not using arduino or such as i have never used one. I actually would love to play with one.
However.
How will such a circuit go with being powered up and down often? Will i talke time to "boot"? As this would not suit the application.
The application is .... ready for this?.....i am having gas tiki torches in my entrance. There will be 10 glass blocks in the path that act as pressure switches. When armed you will get a short period to find the correct blocks and step on the to turn the torches on. If you take too long or step on the wrong block it resets.

HW-nut

Joined May 12, 2016
A small micro like an Arduino would work very well for application. Boot up time is only an issue when an OS is used. The Arduino would be up an running milliseconds.

No, I'm allergic arduino's, not that I've ever used or owned one, the device I propose for this is the Atmel ATtiny84, data sheet attached, I make 1 off PCB's , boot-up is in micro seconds, it runs on 5volts, so a mains transformer is needed + +, these torches, are they mains powered/triggered ?. I'm located in Nth West, South Africa.

Attachments

Razzle308

Joined Mar 17, 2016
I can step down from 12v so 5 is no issue.
The igniters and gas solenoids are all 12v.
I designed a nand circuit so when u press the correct block it changes colour too.

What do i need to program the chip? I presume i need a programmer.

I am in western australia.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If you search for threads about digital locks on this and other fora you will find lots of circuits. Many of them take 2 to 4 simple CMOS chips.

LSI has been making single-chip digital lock chips for a few decades, and their parts work very well. Check out the LS7220.

http://www.lsicsi.com/prog_digitallocks.htm

ak

Last edited:
O.K. Razzle308, Oh Austraila, when can I get my visa, ha ha! so wot we do is, then I can write the source code & e.mail it to you together with the hex file, also a design with PCB, so you will have to find someone there who can program the Atmel or I can point you to sites where you can do it yourself, software for free at Atmel's site, the programer, you can get a USB-ASP, from China they are about $1.00, I like 'Aliexpress', now I'm busy on a project at present, is time lag a major ?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi all.

I am putting some pressure pads into the path for my entrance way at home.
I have 10 pads and 4 correct ones. I want that one has to step on the correct ones in the correct order to actuate something.

I can build the circuit with my crude electronics knowledge out of relays but this doesn't give me the full functionality I want.

If anyone was willing to help me build a digital version it would be great. It is a little out of my lonesome depth.

Here is a flow chart of what i am trying to achieve.
View attachment 105989

Thanks in advance.
regards Darren.
Arduino is good. PICaxe is good. Or four ICs. All CMOS. Runs on 12 V.
When the first correct sensor is stepped on it starts the timing. (How long a time period?) I assumed the outputs were high when activated. Five outputs for four lights and a high current output for the torch. Stepping on the sensors out of sequence kills the operation. Stepping on #1 enables the #2 input. Stepping on #2 clears #1 and so on. CD4043 is four S-R latches. Total cost for ICs, maybe $3.00?

Attachments

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Gotta wonder if a part with a 238 page datasheet and an external programmer is just a tad overkill for this project.

ak
The journey is what counts as well as the result. This would be a great "my-first-project" for a microcontroller, but I also suggest an CMOS IC version.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
hp1729 - I think the schematic in post #11 needs work. Only one input clocks the tristate-feedback system, and there are no inputs from the bogus pads to reset the logic.

ak

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
hp1729 - I think the schematic in post #11 needs work. Only one input clocks the tristate-feedback system, and there are no inputs from the bogus pads to reset the logic.

ak
Stepping on the correct first one starts a long timing interval in which the other three must be stepped on before time runs out. You are correct, I missed the action of stepping on the incorrect sensors. I missed the part where that was a requirement. Also I don't know if the sensors are active low or active high.
722x chips look good. Price and availability are a question.

Last edited:

Razzle308

Joined Mar 17, 2016
@hp1729

Does it reset on the correct block but incorrect order?

What is U3D?

The switches in the blocks are momentary - Will the blocks stay lit when pressed?

Maybe I should add some detail. When the timer is activated all the blocks light up. When the correct block is depressed it will change colour. ( i accomplish this with 2 nands when I get a second high signal.)
Nand Modded Flip Flop.jpg
So the signal on the correct block needs to stay high until reset.

Hope I explained that ok.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
@hp1729

Does it reset on the correct block but incorrect order?

What is U3D?

The switches in the blocks are momentary - Will the blocks stay lit when pressed?

Maybe I should add some detail. When the timer is activated all the blocks light up. When the correct block is depressed it will change colour. ( i accomplish this with 2 nands when I get a second high signal.)
View attachment 106053
So the signal on the correct block needs to stay high until reset.

Hope I explained that ok.
The details help. What should activate the timer? U3D is just an unused gate. Four gates to the chip.
With the new details my circuit won't work.
Your circuit. The top gate looks good. The bottom gate doesn't make sense to me. Why put one end to the resistor. It will always be low, making he output of that gate high all the time. The other input needs a pull up resistor before it will go high. Right now it is high when the switch is closed or floating, which could end up high or low.
Other question. Does the output of the sensor go high or low when stepped on?