Anybody want a big transformer from a 5kva UPS?

mar504

Joined Dec 22, 2019
I'm not really that much of an electronics guy so I really have no idea what kind of mad scientist applications this could be used for. If you all have any ideas please share, I'm sure it has use beyond a scrap yard. This is a transformer (I think? like I said, not an electronics guy) from a 5kva battery backup (I don't remember the model), like a $3000 one. It sat on a parts shelf, brand new and unused, for years before the company finally decided to e-waste it. I was curious what all was inside these UPSs so I opened it up and saw this giant coil, thought it was interesting so I removed it and tossed the rest. I don't know why I saved it, but it's been sitting on my shelf for a year and I have no use for it. It's 8" in diameter and maybe 40lbs or so.

Pictures:
What do you all think? Could this be used for something cool? Or should I just recycle it?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It could be a Transformer or an Inductor, need to take pics of it...

Edit,,just seen it. It's a Torroid transformer looks like its for 208V primary winding with several outputs..

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is an inverter transformer if it was for a UPS. That means that it has a mains voltage winding and at least one heavier winding for the input voltage. So it will certainly function in reverse as a step-down transformer. And if it is new and unused then it is possibly quite useful to somebody.
So you should post it as a transformer for somebody who lives off-grid, which there are a few of those folks. "Craig's List" is one possibility. But be sure to price it at least at the scrap value because it should go to one who would use it. and it does have some real value to the right person. Do you have any information about the UPS that it was intended for? Or any other data about it? That will increase the value quite a bit.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If it were local for me I would drive over and pick it up. BUT Arizona is hundreds of shipping dollars away from Detroit, so I won't. One confusing thing is the difference between the 2 photos in post #5 and the photo of the toroid transformer in post #1. The confusion is worse because the spec tag in post #6 appears to be for an isolation transformer while in the first post it was claimed to be a UPS inverter transformer.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If it were local for me I would drive over and pick it up. BUT Arizona is hundreds of shipping dollars away from Detroit, so I won't. One confusing thing is the difference between the 2 photos in post #5 and the photo of the toroid transformer in post #1. The confusion is worse because the spec tag in post #6 appears to be for an isolation transformer while in the first post it was claimed to be a UPS inverter transformer.
Two separate transformers. If people are willing to take junk then I've got junk to give away too.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
On many occasions what is considered to be "junk" is instead an item that the holder does not have an immediate use for. That does not alter the intrinsic value of said item, only it's applicability to the user's current needs.
My plan has always been to live a while longer, at which point the use of that questioned item often becomes apparent.
Consider your set of tools, where some tools are not used frequently, but when they are needed nothing else will work. Of course, this does not apply to those classed as "Hammer Mechanics". They are also found in the electrical realm, but I have not found a better name for them, even though they are not really "mechanics."