Any Touch Screen Computers being Used By members On Forum

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I wish I did. But I have seen women with touch screens.

Too damn expensive to replace touch panel every month

i've done many projects. touch function is basically left-click of a mouse, nothing more and nothing less.
There are two types of touch screen, single touch and multi touch.

The single touch works like a mouse.

The multi touch on the right operating system can do resizing and a few other functions.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I enjoy using my iPad all day long. I can sit in an easy chair and browse AAC in comfort. However, when it is time to respond to a post at great length I have to resort to a regular keyboard.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
For the past 2 weeks my laptop was down and I was using the wife's IPad. Maddening. I hate touch screen for regular computing.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
There are two types of touch screen, single touch and multi touch.
I know, but I'd have to see one yet (other than product announcements or TV ads). conventional (single touch) are very common, they are everywhere. Maybe one of recent consumer product has made it to the market (iPad?) but I am not selling kidneys to chase trends.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I've been doing all of my internet activity including this forum on a multitouch smart phone with a slider keyboard for a couple of months. It's certainly more cumbersome than a full size computer but it works.

coldpenguin

Joined Apr 18, 2010
I have replaced my laptop with an ASUS EP121
It is 12.1" touchscreen, with two touch inputs. It runs Windows 7
You can press two fingers, move together to zom out, move apart to zoom in.

It also has pressure sensitive pen input, which I use with photoshop, line thickness or paint intensity changes with pressure.

When you click in a text field, a keyboard will appear on screen. Or a button on the side can be pushed to bring it up. The onscreen keybouard is as large as some hardware keyboards I have used.
I do touch-type, however, with a touchscreen I have to go slower,
1) If I go at full speed, I will hurt my fingers by hitting it too hard, there is no give by the keys
2) There is no feedback from the keys, if you are hitting them too low, you won't know until you start to miss.

In addition, the machine comes with a wireless (bluetooth) keyboard, which is great for those times you want to write war and peace.

I have 1725's (17") and 1928's (19") touch screens made by ELO, connected to regular ol' computers. They work just like a USB mouse. Cool to play with, but a wad of money.

:) joe

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I have replaced my laptop with an ASUS EP121
It is 12.1" touchscreen, with two touch inputs. It runs Windows 7
You can press two fingers, move together to zom out, move apart to zoom in.

It also has pressure sensitive pen input, which I use with photoshop, line thickness or paint intensity changes with pressure.

When you click in a text field, a keyboard will appear on screen. Or a button on the side can be pushed to bring it up. The onscreen keybouard is as large as some hardware keyboards I have used.
I do touch-type, however, with a touchscreen I have to go slower,
1) If I go at full speed, I will hurt my fingers by hitting it too hard, there is no give by the keys
2) There is no feedback from the keys, if you are hitting them too low, you won't know until you start to miss.

In addition, the machine comes with a wireless (bluetooth) keyboard, which is great for those times you want to write war and peace.
I came about 1mm from getting a ASUS B121. Decided to go with power over touchscreen though. I thought the touch screen and pen would be really nice but I have such a wide range of stuff I gotta do with it I just went for a normal laptop.

coldpenguin

Joined Apr 18, 2010
I came about 1mm from getting a ASUS B121. Decided to go with power over touchscreen though. I thought the touch screen and pen would be really nice but I have such a wide range of stuff I gotta do with it I just went for a normal laptop.
I justified it with the ability of using a pressure sensitive pen in photoshop whilst on holiday. (one image was a 5ft high, almost life-size photo)
Otherwise I could have considered a toy like the ipad.

Power wise, I have had it running 4 virtual machines + firefox etc. at the same time. The ep121 is basically a mid/high-range laptop, without a keyboard

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Ehhhh more Ultrabook specs now then full laptop specs. But I was still impressed with the ultrabooks speed even though its scaled back. So I imagine you 121 runs about the same. Another reason I went with the ASUS N55SF over B121 was stock availability, and my desktop being on its last leg I wanted something that I could replace my desktop with if needed since I wasn't paying. Now my laptops like 5 times faster then my desktop. Did yours come with the Bang and Hoffenstedter sound thing? My last 2 did and the sound was good on the 1st one and amazing on the 2nd. I would love that wacom pen!!!! and touch screen. I hear win 8's really touch friendly and you get it free with the 121's. But in the end I don't see getting away from a KB or mouse. I do like the tablet pen gig with the BT HID's. That way you have proper inputs if you need em, and if not you got your tablet. But for my uses of the tablet which aren't PS or anything art related I figured a 10 inch android tab would work. All I need it for is a PDF reader for datasheets.

Last edited: