Any Stats On Thread With Most Replies?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The "who are you" thread started in 2004 has to be up there.
Tonight's Libation and the Jokes thread also come to mind.
Oh yeah i see the Who Are You thread now with 2k replies and 200k views! That's a lot.

I was asking because i see the now notorious Corona Virus thread racking up the numbers. It is something very important to virtually everyone on the planet so i would say that is why. Some good information and new in that thread too.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
I ask about a stats page once. Pretty much was told it wasn't needed. Of course my question went a little further. You all do realize most forums have this information posted. The part I got shut down on was giving Kudos to certain people. Hey, here's a made up avatar cause you helped the most, Or you posted the most or joke avatars like who do you think drinks the most on the forum...Hands down joeyd999, you got my vote. As a kinda side thing. "Just for fun"
just poking fun at you joey, You'd have to earn my vote. Give them out at Christmas at the end of the year. It seems a lot of people are wound up to tight around here. The asteroid ain't hit us yet...Relax.
Brzrkr

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I really don't see what purpose is served by such stats or by "likes." I have opposed that from the outset. Anyone who thinks such statistics have a relationship with value and/or accuracy of comments is , well, berserk.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I really don't see what purpose is served by such stats or by "likes." I have opposed that from the outset. Anyone who thinks such statistics have a relationship with value and/or accuracy of comments is , well, berserk.
That's only your view of what stats do or are used for or if they provide any benefit.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That's only your view of what stats do or are used for or if they provide any benefit.
Of course that is my view. It was clearly stated as such. Glad you saw need to repeat it.

How about presenting your view? Why do you want to identify the thread with most responses? More important, maybe you can describe what benefit "likes" and most responses serve.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I guess the title says it best, but would be interesting.
When the site was using vBulletin, there was a lot more information that was available, though some of it took some digging unless you were good at writing Python scripts to do screen scraping or similar. There are also web crawlers that ferret out some of this information from forum sites that you might try to track down. There was a member (forget who) many years ago that was actually quite adept and writing Google searches to pull out some interesting data points quickly.

The switch to XenForo saw a huge amount of that information go away completely and it seems like with every update the remaining statistical information you mention either gets less or harder to find. I don't think this is an AAC issue, but rather a XenForo issue (and I don't know how typical their trend is relative to other forum platforms). As developers of application software become more conscious of security vulnerabilities, there is a general trend toward hiding details unless there's a specific reason not to. The ownership might have the ability to make some of that information available via configuration changes, but they are probably just accepting the defaults and don't see any reason to even investigate the matter further.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Oh that's interesting. I wonder who develops these 'softwares' i guess some care about stats some dont.

I myself feel like an idiot now because i learned many different computer languages but never learned much html or similar used in web sites.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
jpanhalt said:
Anyone who thinks such statistics have a relationship with value and/or accuracy of comments is , well, berserk.
That's why I picked the name. I'm not all here, a few screws lose, elevator don't go all the way to the top.
Just pointing out you can make a jest of it at the same time.
You do realize you don't have to look at it, It's kinda like a TV channel and you have the remote.
Brzrkr