Any Linux experts out there?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Nothing good ever came of upgrading software, but I upgraded my Renesas E2Studio and now it doesn't work.
Could anyone possibly explain these error messages:
Could not determine GDB version using command: arm-none-eabi-gdb --version
arm-none-eabi-gdb: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.6: no version information available (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)
arm-none-eabi-gdb: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.6: no version information available (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)
arm-none-eabi-gdb: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)
arm-none-eabi-gdb: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.6: no version information available (required by arm-none-eabi-gdb)
I thought that the answer would be to get the latest version of libncurses so I went for
"sudo apt-get install libncurses6"
but it didn't like that either:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libncurses is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libncurses' has no installation candidate
What is particularly irksome is that both e2Studio and MCUXPresso are based on Eclipse, and MCUXpresso runs perfectly.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That's why I never considered running Linux.
There's like an alphabet soup of different Linux versions out there. :rolleyes:

Hopefully some Linux expert can help you with that.

Last edited:

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Which particular variety of Linux are you using?
Did you apt-get update?
I am running Debian Bullseye and can apt-get install libncurses6 no problem.

It would seem to me the root of the problem lies in arm-none-eabi-gdb which I am assuming is provided by the Renesas E2Studio.

You also mention Eclipse which I fought with forever trying to get it to work with ESP8266 through the Arduino plugins and failed over and over again...

Maybe may have to downgrade for the time being?!?

Edit:

Nevermind -- I just checked out Joey's link and that makes sense

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Which particular variety of Linux are you using?
Mint 19.3 (which I really ought to upgrade)
Did you apt-get update?
Yes
I am running Debian Bullseye and can apt-get install libncurses6 no problem.

It would seem to me the root of the problem lies in arm-none-eabi-gdb which I am assuming is provided by the Renesas E2Studio.
Actually no - they leave it to you to find your own (which I thought was rather mean)
And, although I have done "check for updates" on e2studio, the GNU toolchains are 2 versions behind. Is the latest one likely to work better or to cause more problems?

You also mention Eclipse which I fought with forever trying to get it to work with ESP8266 through the Arduino plugins and failed over and over again...

Maybe may have to downgrade for the time being?!?

Edit:

Nevermind -- I just checked out Joey's link and that makes sense

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
And, although I have done "check for updates" on e2studio, the GNU toolchains are 2 versions behind. Is the latest one likely to work better or to cause more problems?
That is a very good question? Part of me wants to say it may clear up problems, but I can't understand how the version information would change enough to break the current install. There's usually nothing too elaborate reported every time I've tried a --version or -v on anything.

I'm no expert, but I have fought with things enough to usually pick out what to look for... this time maybe not so much.