Any idea about how to build a bit rotation circuit

Denner Paganoti

Joined Mar 5, 2017
Hey guys,
I'm trying to build with a friend a bit rotation circuit (circular shift) for an ALU of 4 bits, but we didn't get anything until now. May you help us with any idea? (we're a kind of desperate about it and this is our first project in the area), we're accepting any advice to build it. We can make it with logic gates, flip flops, IC's, registers etc.... Anything about it is good for us now!.

Thanks for all.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So, what is the difference between a linear shift register and a circular shift register. All shift register shift a bit one position to the right or left. What does a circular shift register do differently in certain cases?

What do you mean, "we didn't get to change it"?

Denner Paganoti

Joined Mar 5, 2017
So, what is the difference between a linear shift register and a circular shift register. All shift register shift a bit one position to the right or left. What does a circular shift register do differently in certain cases?

What do you mean, "we didn't get to change it"?
The basic difference is the linear shift register loses a bit for example: a 3 bit sequence 001, in a linear shift register after a shit it becomes 000, but in a circular shift register it becomes 100 (if you're rotating it to the right, of course), it's like the circular one would have a carry system to storage this bit.

When I said "we didn't get to change it", we were trying to adapt a linear into a circular.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hey guys,
I'm trying to build with a friend a bit rotation circuit (circular shift) for an ALU of 4 bits, but we didn't get anything until now. May you help us with any idea? (we're a kind of desperate about it and this is our first project in the area), we're accepting any advice to build it. We can make it with logic gates, flip flops, IC's, registers etc.... Anything about it is good for us now!.

Thanks for all.
Here's one way to do it:
Circular shifter.png