Any Good Headphone Amplifiers Out There?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I am looking for a decent headphone amp with 3.5mm jacks preferred.
It should take an input like from a PC computer and amplify it and provide a headphone jack for the headphones. The headphones will be 32 or 64 Ohms internal impedance each earpiece.

I looked around and all i find are USB types, portable types, and very expensive types.
I was hoping for something well under 100 dollars USD.
The USB type would be ok but i find that there is a delay in the audio and that's not acceptable.
The portable types have built in battery that recharges but i dont really like that either unless i am forced to go that route.
I was hoing for something that plugs into 120vac 60Hz or else uses a wall wart.

The reason for this is to get more volume from the PC that's the main purpose. The sound card does not provide enough volume as it is.

It must be stereo.

Also, i am not really sure how much power would be enough for headphones where we want to be able to turn the volume up maybe 1/2 way to get normal listening volume. I see power ratings sometimes but i do not have a reference for power vs loud volume for headphones.

I could of course build one up but i really didnt want to be bothered with that right now.

It is amazing i see some selling for $4000.00 USD. That's way too high.

Thanks for any ideas.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Have you tried a booster app, e.g. anything like this?
Googling "headphone booster" also comes up with some hits for small hardware audio boosters.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Have you tried a booster app, e.g. anything like this?
Googling "headphone booster" also comes up with some hits for small hardware audio boosters.
Hi,

Yes i looked on Amazon for example and couldnt be sure what the output volume would be, if it would be enough from those 30 dollar (USD) models.
Still not sure.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

Thanks for the links.

I dint really want to build one but that may be the only option to be sure i can get the kind of volume i am looking for. Also i havent built anything in a long time now maybe i am overdue for a little project like this. If i could get a ready made and populated board that would really make it easier.