anti theft system

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
hi all,

I have a project that needs to be done.my project is the anti-theft cable alarm system.when thieves stole cable, it will send information to the micro-controller and the sound alarm.at the same time, it will send a message to the user and indicate the location of theft. do I need to use the GSM module .. how to program? if using Atmel 89s52.tq all

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
hi all,

I have a project that needs to be done.my project is the anti-theft cable alarm system.when thieves stole cable, it will send information to the micro-controller and the sound alarm.at the same time, it will send a message to the user and indicate the location of theft. do I need to use the GSM module .. how to program? if using Atmel 89s52.tq all
In your next post you should answer each of the following questions:

1. What cable are you talking about?
2. Is this an application for a supermarket where cables are being sold or are these cables that are connected to something?
3. Do you want to know where the cable was stolen or do you want to track the cable?

Please give as much details as possible about what exactly you want to do, otherwise it's going to take you forever to get any useful information.

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
In your next post you should answer each of the following questions:

1. What cable are you talking about?
2. Is this an application for a supermarket where cables are being sold or are these cables that are connected to something?
3. Do you want to know where the cable was stolen or do you want to track the cable?

Please give as much details as possible about what exactly you want to do, otherwise it's going to take you forever to get any useful information.

sorry my information not details...

okey..i wanna to built a one system called anti theft cable alarm system. nowday,in my country, many theft stole telecommunication wire.so, i want to built prototype for that problem for my final year project. i think for a pleminary, i just want to monitor 5 cable in 5 diffrent location.if one of 5 cable was tempered, the lcd screen will appear the location and distances and also the alarm will buzz.at the same time... technician@police will receive SMS(message) in their mobile phone to inform that cable was tempered. in this case... i want to track this cable... i want to monitor all cable since in my country,communication provider use copper wire to connect to all customer phone lines... tq guys.. i really2 newbie in micro-c:confused:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Still now enough information...

So you want to monitor wired telecommunication cable. If someone cuts a piece out of it you want to know where it happened and then you want to track the stolen cable, is that it?

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
Still now enough information...

So you want to monitor wired telecommunication cable. If someone cuts a piece out of it you want to know where it happened and then you want to track the stolen cable, is that it?

yupp..that right... i want to track the cable whre it happend and the distance.. any idea guys.. so..when the buglar cut it... automaticly it will send to police or technician..for fast respone..to catch the theft..

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
you mean from the main alarm circuit? i just consider 20km radius... from HQ(where the main alarm was placed here& also cable come from here till end user)

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
here my full title for my project. Building an anti-cable theft device that can detect the distances and location of a cable copper that had been cut or tampered.

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
it just normal copper wire insulated... as telecommunication provider use.. it only prototype... while the wire was tempered..it will trigger to micro-c to proceed alarm

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Man, is it that hard to answer a simple question?
Lets say the wire is a cat5 ethernet cable. Do you have a free pair to do the checking on it, or do you have to use the pair that the data is already running over?

Even for a prototype you still have to think about how it will be used.

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
sorry friends... my english broken because english is my 2nd language... i think i do not using cat 5 ethernet cable...i just use copper wire... i dont understand that u mean a free pair to checking on... u mean for example cat 5,checking each wire? i just want to built i wire for one port to micro-c.. isnt can? for example 1 copper wire... go thru to port a 1.1

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
sorry friends... my english broken because english is my 2nd language...

that's not the problem. problem is that you give piecewise information, a little bit in each post.

Also, you want to know the exact location/distance from HQ where someone cut out a piece of cable, not very easy IMO.

The question if there is a spare pair of wires in the cable is to know what kind of signal one could pass through it without interfering with the communication. Also, if there are no spare wires, you would need to feed a signal into the wires that are used for the actual communication. btw, is it DSL?

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
that's not the problem. problem is that you give piecewise information, a little bit in each post.

Also, you want to know the exact location/distance from HQ where someone cut out a piece of cable, not very easy IMO.

The question if there is a spare pair of wires in the cable is to know what kind of signal one could pass through it without interfering with the communication. Also, if there are no spare wires, you would need to feed a signal into the wires that are used for the actual communication. btw, is it DSL?

sorry friends.. for my piecewise info..
btw..isnt difficult?i just consider 5 wire to 5 diffrent location..yup..thats DSL wire... or copper wire... can i use the on off method?if off mean the wire has been tempered... if on.. the wire in good status..the problem..how i can implement it wireless form.while it tempered(off) it will send SMS to police or technician

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Comm providers already have access to the technology the orignal poster describes.

Cable testers are standard tools that will tell you the length of a cable.

I would suspect that the comm companies, and their employees/contractors are in on the thefts.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
can i use the on off method?if off mean the wire has been tempered...
What kind of method is that? Do you mean sending some current or voltage through the wire? This will most likely disable the transmission of data over that wire, i.e. you can either use the wire to check the line or you can send data over it, but not both at the same time.

ztecon

Joined Aug 21, 2011
What kind of method is that? Do you mean sending some current or voltage through the wire? This will most likely disable the transmission of data over that wire, i.e. you can either use the wire to check the line or you can send data over it, but not both at the same time.

huhu...i dont have any idea on it... have an any idea? for this alarm system>?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
huhu...i dont have any idea on it... have an any idea? for this alarm system>?
You have to divide this into two stages. First you need to know that the cable is broken. This can be as simple as passing some current through two wires which are connected together at the far end, or just by noticing that the communication between the two devices doesn´t work.

The other part is harder, you need to use reflectometry to measure reflection in the line to find the distance. Look at this pdf for more details.

Also, reflectometry will most likely work well only for uniform wire, i.e. the whole run in one piece of the same wire with as few connectors as possible.
Anyway, what kind of school project is this? High school, university or something else?