Anritsu MS2711D Portable RF Spectrum Analyzer Keypad Stops Responding

aquaman8_2001

Joined Feb 18, 2018
Hi,

I have an Anritsu MS2711D portable Spectrum Analyzer and I it powers up and boots the firmware when I press the ON/OFF key on the keypad, but once the the unit boots up, often times the keypad stops responding to any key press or sometimes only certain keys get a response. No real patter to which keys remain responsive. Even when the keypad is non-reponsive, the ON/OFF key always functions allowing the unit to be turned OFF and ON. I gathered as much info as I could find on the Internet, but Antritsu seems to be ultra secretive with their technical info and no schematics can be found anywhere.

I have mapped out the keypad switch areas (gold plated PCB traces at each of the 28 keypad locations, each consisting of a 'Surround section and a Center section" that are connected together when the keypad location is pressed. The Keypad is connected to the main unit through a 24 pin ribbon cable (P1). There are 8 lines that come from the Center traces of groups of switches on the keypad PCB and the Centers connect to pins 1 through 8 on a TVS steering diode (MMAD1108) located on the PCB. Each of the lines then exits the chip via pins 16 through 9 which then terminate at 8 pins on P1.
Connection of the Surround portion of groups of keys connect directly to the pins on P1. Finally, there are 8 resistors (10K ohms) (pull up or pull down?) on the keypad PCB, with one end of all the resistors is connected to pin P1-3 and the other end of each resistor goes to a separate pin on P-1. Note that the Center and the Surround PCB trace of the ON/Off switch each goes to a unique unused pin on P1 (P1-21 and P1-22). Pin P1-24 is connected to the copper plane on the top of the PCB upon which the switch contacts are etched.

So at this point I understand that
1) this appears to be a typical keyboard matrix with columns and rows arrangement
2) the data lines are protected from overvoltage events coupled to the keypad using the TVS
3) Not sure why the keypad becomes non-responsive and 'locks up' but the reason that the ON/OFF key continues to function is becasue it is not part of the scanned matrix
4) This suggests that the matrix is failing either mechanically or electronically.

So, with this knowledge in hand I now seek direction from anyone who might have some understanding of how the Anritsu keyboard is moniotred and controlled to save me time or more importantly to help me avoid causing further damage to the instrument during further troubleshooting. My hope that this might be a common problem with these units and I can zero in on fixing the fault.

My worry is that the keypad scanning is accomplished some I/O ports on the main microprocessor and that these ports may be damaged. Ideally some 'glue' chips have failed and it will be an easier fix. Also, perhaps it is a software bug.

Any help or guidance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the detail provided above, but I know that describing a problem as "it doesn't work' is not very useful when asking for help with electronics and I don't want to waste anyone's time unnecessarily.

Mitch

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Can the problem be fixrd or triggered by wiggling the ribbon cable or by tapping on the keypad PCB or whatever board the ribbon connects to?

aquaman8_2001

Joined Feb 18, 2018
Can the problem be fixrd or triggered by wiggling the ribbon cable or by tapping on the keypad PCB or whatever board the ribbon connects to?

Thanks for the reply. While I tried to move the assembled instrument to induce any changes (i.e. from unresponsive to responsive or vice vera) I was unsuccessful. Unfortunately, the wiring between the top 1/2 (keypad/display) is extremely short and its not possible to operate the instrument when open. I am in the process of making an extension cable for the 24 contact ribbon cable, but have not yet completed it.
At this point, I was just hoping that perhaps someone on an electronics forum might have seen a similar issue or heard of this problem with the Anritsu MS2711D and reached out.

As soon as I have the cable made I will report back on my progress.