Another success for switch it off and on again?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I switched on the bedroom light, a CFL. It flashed, roughly two flashes per second. I switched it off and waited a little while before switching it on again. It did the same flashing. Ever the optimist, I repeated the switch it off and switch it on again one more time. This time it worked properly and has been working properly since - about six times.

How long do you think it will continue working correctly before it finally emits the magic smoke?
a. An hour
b. A day
c. A week
d. A month
e. A year
f. A decade?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Ummm... I'll pick c. A week.

I've had several CFLs go Tango Uniform on me, one after making a buzzing sound and emitting a puff of foul-smelling Magic Smoke. One failed in its first few minutes, and a couple more waited several months.

I'm not too keen on the things anymore and have been replacing them with LED bulbs. The 100-watt equivalent LEDs from Phillips seem especially good.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The 100-watt equivalent LEDs from Phillips seem especially good.
I liked my Philips 75W LED bulbs until one of them failed and the company didn't respond to my efforts to get a warranty replacement. But they started sending me email about other Philips products. A couple more of them and I'll take the time to create a filter to put them in the trash folder...

I had several Cree LED bulbs fail and received prompt and hassle free warranty replacements.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I'd replace them with LED bulbs; one less thing to worry about.
Both my feet are dysfunctional so climbing a ladder isn't something I take lightly. I'd rather they lasted at least as long as I do. I think that's unlikely though. I am replacing CFL with LED as necessary.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Both my feet are dysfunctional so climbing a ladder isn't something I take lightly. I'd rather they lasted at least as long as I do. I think that's unlikely though. I am replacing CFL with LED as necessary.
An hour or a decade doesn't matter. Do you really want the smoke to come out when it might cause a fire? You already know it is failing so why take a chance.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
An hour or a decade doesn't matter. Do you really want the smoke to come out when it might cause a fire? You already know it is failing so why take a chance.

It was magic. The magician must have gone home. Science isn’t sporadic like that. If it wasn’t a magician, it was God talking to you. He was saying something like, “change the in-cabin air filter on your car more often”.