Another SMPS increase amps, but different

ShaunCro

Joined Feb 23, 2022
Howdy All,

Been lurking in the background for a few months reading different posts, mainly about the MC2100 controller board as I had one with motor that I was about to fit, but during testing the wife tapped me on the shoulder while I was rather ensconced and well, no more 2100.

Anyway, short story long, been building up parts for a 3D Printer for around 3 years, and am finally at the point I can start building, only, I ordered 2 60V powersupplies last year and they arrived while I was away on business, so wife popped them in my cupboard, and hauled them out a couple days ago only to find...... The

ShaunCro

Joined Feb 23, 2022
Oops, wouldn't let me edit.

The end

Bangmegood sent me 6.6A psu's instead of the 12A's that I ordered. So in rather a pickle with this one.
So I have two options, up the amps some how on the 60V psu's or, I have 2 x 12V 2500W Blade server power supplies that I could use if need be. The PSU's are for two 400W servos Leadshine AC (But actually DC) BLDC Servo's, which I will be using as my AB Drives on my printer, and the minimum requirement is right at the limit of my psu's, 6A, my load won't stress them, but when you pushing speed with short stops with high acceleration, I will pull the 6A psu's dead, I just know it. And just don't have the bucks right now to purchase more suitable units. I have 4 months to build before my seasonal second job starts up again and then I just won't have the time to get near my projects when it does, so if someone could point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
ShaunCro

ShaunCro

Joined Feb 23, 2022
House hold power is 220V AC 16A on the plug points. Which should be adequate for 2 x 60V PSU's, 1 x 24V 14.5A PSU and 1 x 5V 10A PSU with the bed running on a 220V 2.5A 500W heater on a 10mm 500x500 bed.

ShaunCro

Joined Feb 23, 2022
Yeah, I'm running servo's instead of steppers, higher acceleration with more accurate moves, the drives top out at 18.3A but in torque mode and moving 100Kgs they pull around 8A of power. I'll never reach that so 12A is more than I will need, with a bit of a safety net. They were the cheapest servo's I could find, this is just one of those projects to see what is possible. Total build volume of the printer is 500x500x500 but with the ability to increase with the replacement of few parts. I'm aiming for 1500mm/s and have had to design my one hotend to keep up with the flow requirements, as there isn't anything on the market yet (that I can see) that will keep up with what I want to achieve. Whether I get there or not is another story, but gotta aim high and fail big :0)

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
At 600 mm/sec, my 3d printer takes about 22 hours to print an object that takes 290g of filament at draft quality(0.3 mm layers.) I hope you are very patient when you try to print something near the max volume you are targeting.

Bob

ShaunCro

Joined Feb 23, 2022
Yeah, used to own an online 3D printing shop so have learned a bit of patience. Wife did custom prints and I did mods, servicing and handled the technical side. Largest print I've done was for a customer which took 7 days at 0.12 layer height, 220 cylinder that was 560mm in height but it it had to hold liquid, and it couldn't be done in vase mode as it was a display piece for their product, so needed to be dimensionally accurate too.. had to split into two parts and printed in PETG managed to keep it water tight and as transparent as we can with fdm. But, I know what you mean, huge bed lots to fill, but that is exactly what it's for, big out of the ordinary stuff, doesn't mean it can't print small. :)

ShaunCro

Joined Feb 23, 2022
So on this.

Decided to sell a printer and buy a Huawei R4850G2 off Ali which has a max output of 58V at 50A so can run both motors happily and costs way less than buying two 60V 12A psu's. So I free up some some space and get the power I need out of it.

Thanks all.