Another question about power supply Best Practices

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Hi All, I'm putting together a power supply that comes as a front end with controls and display, and a much larger case into which I can place a non-adjustable enclosed power supply of my choosing, and wire it up to the controls. It amounts to a step-down converter with a case big enough for the DC source as well. My question is about matching the output of the DC power source to the limitations of the step-down converter. The control panel rates its maximum output at 6 amps, totaling 360 watts max. Currently I am planning to connect it to an enclosed power supply delivering 24 volts at 14.6 amps. I'm not concerned about the voltage, but I don't know enough about amperes to know if I have a good fit. So the question is: am I going to have problems connecting a 6-amp buck converter to a 14.6-amp enclosed power supply, or, conversely, should I invest in a different, e.g., 6 amp max power supply?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Should be no problem.
Power supply current ratings are the maximum they can deliver, so mating a supply with a larger max rating to one with a smaller rating is fine.
The supplies just deliver the current that the output load requires (limited to a maximum of 6A for your configuration).

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I saw a video (guy with a thick Ozzie accent) about it, and read some blog posts, YouTube reviews, and the lone Amazon review . Those, plus the fact that I would only be buying the front end and the enclosure, and adding an enclosed PS that I know to function properly, makes the purchase seem a decent gamble. It will take a while, but I'll post a first-impression review of it when I get it up and running. Some assembly required.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I have a good, OLD linear supply already. It's rack-mount, takes up as much floorspace as a large pizza box, and weighs about 35 lbs. I don't have enough ready space to mount it, and I'd like something a bit more maneuverable.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
PSUs are not very maneuverable due to their large xfmrs but the Korad is about half the size of the Riden face mount and its accessory case to mount a switching power supply in. The Riden, to me, has a lot of bells and whistles that most people will never use. I don't need a wattmeter when the display is already showing V & A for example since I learned to multiply early in my schooling. I don't need digital memory storage of settings since I rarely do something more than a couple of times. Etc. 360W is a lot of power but who needs it, most PSUs supply 30V & 5A which is only 150W and more than most people need. Also, it is only the control unit, the front end, there is no power supply! Just my nickel. YMMV IF you already have an old computer power supply available they are easily converted with just a few parts into a FIXED (not variable or current limiting as the Korad is) bench switching PSU for fixed Voltages.

birckcmi

Joined Jan 1, 2018
All of the points you make are valid. However, I may have a use for a digitally-stored set of A & V values, e.g., for occasionally running a plastic bender; I have come to notice wattage as a determining factor, and I agree that more than 150 watts is probably-in general-unnecessary. I have had a couple of enclosed fixed power supplies sitting around here for years, with nothing to do, and this will give me a chance to use them.