Another Idiot!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What century do you live in?

Could you point out some of those products for me. What brand of adhesive to I pick up at Home Depot that have boiled Horse hooves on the ingredient list.

Which soaps brands to I look for a Target to get the soaponified animal fatty acids. To quote a well known member on this site...
Trolling me again, huh?

Fine. I will make one response to you and then let you troll on to your hearts content.

You are the one that might be stuck in a prior century if you think that animal glues have to have horse hooves in them.

Go to Home Depot and ask for Titebond Liquid Hide Wood Glue. It probably doesn't have horse hooves, but rather cattle, sheep, or other hooves.

Musical instrument makers and repairers generally prefer hide glues for string instruments.

Go to Target and ask for one of the following rare and seldom heard of soap brands: Lux, Dove, Shield, Lifebuoy, Lever 2000, Jergens, Irish Spring, Palmolive, Dial, Tone, Zest, Coast, Lava, Ivory, or Safeguard.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/9-everyday-products-you-didnt-know-had-animal-ingredients.html

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/06/07/8-items-animal-byproducts

http://www.peta.org/living/beauty/animal-ingredients-list/

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-surprising-things-that-contain-animal-products-2014-3

http://roogirl.com/20-everyday-items-that-contain-animal-ingredients/

And those are just from the front page of a Google search using the term: products containing animal byproducts.

Ever see lanolin on any bottles of skin creams, lipsticks, lip balms, shoe polish, shaving cream? That comes from sheep.

Substances such as stearic acid are used in many, many, many products and most stearic acid in the U.S. is produced from animal tallow (particularly beef tallow). Look at most common brandname shampoos and you'll find several ingredients that are still predominantly of animal origin. Even if a plant-derived alternative is available, it has a hard time competing with what would otherwise become waste products of animal processing that the processor might have to pay to get rid of.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm sure our vegan friends can manage their gluing needs without violating their morals as @WBahn suggested in his post. I would be embarrassed if my industry was not able to provide a petrochemical solution to bonding, candles or detergents.

As for Gorilla Glue, you got me. I wonder how many great apes thy get in each bottle.
I never said they "couldn't" avoid violating their morals -- I inquired as to what fraction of them make the necessary effort to do so?

This is a pointless thread that has divided us into "Pros-Hunters" and "Anti-Hunters" getting into an argument. It is clear that no-ones opinion on this topic can be changed.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Pros-Hunters" and "Anti-Hunters
That's really an immaterial portion of the discussion.

A larger point is for people to refrain from imposing their morality onto others.

I'm neither pri nor for hunters. I'm, however, against anyone trying to insist on how I should live my life because they think it is good for me.

That's what 'free' means in 'free people'.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Unfortunately, many people don't understand that. While they are being protected by freedom, they try to rob other people's freedom at any and every opportune moment.

There is a little dictator in everyone of us.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is a pointless thread that has divided us into "Pros-Hunters" and "Anti-Hunters" getting into an argument. It is clear that no-ones opinion on this topic can be changed.
I have a change. I might have to reconsider my position as a pragmatist if it means I don't have any morals. Maybe I should call myself, "practical". Or is that just a different word for the same thing? What's the word for a person who holds himself to fairly good moral standards and responds to everyday problems and repairs like they can usually be resolved with a minimum of agonized soul searching? Typical male? No. Women think all men are sluts.

I have not resolved this.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
There is a reason morals exist.Without them we would be still killing each other over a piece of bread.
Wrong again. That's not a morality issue. It's an ethical one. :oops:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Ethics_vs_Morals

============
Ethics and morals relate to “right” and “wrong” conduct. While they are sometimes used interchangeably, they are different: ethics refer to rules provided by an external source, e.g., codes of conduct in workplaces or principles in religions. Morals refer to an individual’s own principles regarding right and wrong.

Comparison chart
Ethics versus Morals comparison chart
Ethics Morals
What are they?
The rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group or culture. Principles or habits with respect to right or wrong conduct. While morals also prescribe dos and don'ts, morality is ultimately a personal compass of right and wrong.
Where do they come from? Social system - External Individual - Internal
Why we do it? Because society says it is the right thing to do. Because we believe in something being right or wrong.
Flexibility Ethics are dependent on others for definition. They tend to be consistent within a certain context, but can vary between contexts. Usually consistent, although can change if an individual’s beliefs change.
The "Gray" A person strictly following Ethical Principles may not have any Morals at all. Likewise, one could violate Ethical Principles within a given system of rules in order to maintain Moral integrity. A Moral Person although perhaps bound by a higher covenant, may choose to follow a code of ethics as it would apply to a system. "Make it fit"
Origin Greek word "ethos" meaning"character" Latin word "mos" meaning "custom"
Acceptability Ethics are governed by professional and legal guidelines within a particular time and place Morality transcends cultural norms
Contents: Ethics vs Morals
culture to which an individual belongs. For example, lawyers, policemen, and doctors all have to follow an ethical code laid down by their profession, regardless of their own feelings or preferences. Ethics can also be considered a social system or a framework for acceptable behavior.

Morals are also influenced by culture or society, but they are personal principles created and upheld by individuals themselves.

For example, the ethics of the medical profession in the 21st century are generally consistent and do not change from hospital to hospital, but they are different from the ethics of the 21st century legal profession.

An individual’s moral code is usually unchanging and consistent across all contexts, but it is also possible for certain events to radically change an individual's personal beliefs and values.

One professional example of ethics conflicting with morals is the work of a defense attorney. A lawyer’s morals may tell her thatmurder is reprehensible and that murderers should be punished, but her ethics as a professional lawyer, require her to defend her client to the best of her abilities, even if she knows that the client is guilty.

Another example can be found in the medical field. In most parts of the world, a doctor may not euthanize a patient, even at the patient's request, as per ethical standards for health professionals. However, the same doctor may personally believe in a patient's right to die, as per the doctor's own morality.

philosophically studied for well over a thousand years. The idea of ethics being principles that are set and applied to a group (not necessarily focused on the individual) is relatively new, though, primarily dating back to the 1600s. The distinction between ethics and morals is particularly important for philosophical ethicists.
============

:rolleyes:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
You are confusing morality with something else.
I'm getting the strong impression a lot of things have been confused with a lot of other things.

Facts Vs opinions.
Personal choice Vs legal rights.
Personal views Vs reality.
Assumed definitions Vs true definitions.
Judge not less ye be judged.
What one does Vs what one says they do.
Coke Vs Pepsi.
Ford Vs Chevy.
Tastes great Vs less filling.

Need I go on? :confused:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
My opinion is that hunting for pleasure should be forbidden.

Bertus
For me and most of the people I knew when young and hang with today hunting is a pleasure. It's a deep "visceral" problem solving thrill. Yes, it's a savage pleasure and we are born to it even if most try to suppress it because someone else does the killing for them.

The meat is an added bonus but that's work that we also turn into a game on a hunting trip. Wasting animals for the pleasure of killing (that's a small part of a true hunt) is not something I like.